Nothing to drink ALL day the day of surgery????

mpafford
on 9/5/13 12:56 am - TX

Had my pre-op appointment Tuesday and my class.

Found out that I cannot have anything to drink, no ice NADA until the next day when I have the leak test.

I am not sure I can do this part. I am a water hog. If nothing else, I have to have water.

Is this what everyone is facing for the day/night of surgery?

Montie P
Lap band 3-4-05 starting weight 312 now 190
LBL/BL  w/lipo            6-18-08
Arm/Thigh Lift w/lipo  1-07-09

Sometimes losing is really winning!
hollykim
on 9/5/13 1:00 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Yes most ppl have nothing to drink before the leak test. You might Be surprised how Much you don't care about drinking after your surgery. It can't be adequately explained to pre ops but you will understand soon enough.
GL

Bella Italiana
on 9/5/13 1:05 am
VSG on 08/17/13

Agreed.  You will have an IV in, which will make sure you stay hydrated, and I was allowed to swish a little water around my mouth and spit it out if my mouth got too dry that first day/night after surgery.  If your IV is adjusted right, and you're getting enough fluids that way, you'd be surprised how much it doesn't bother you that you're not drinking at all.

danixbanani
on 9/5/13 1:09 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Yup and it sucks because your throat will be dry and possibly sore from the respirator tube thinigie but it's bearable and you get hydration from the IV.  Trust me, you will be sleeping off and on most of the rest of the day after surgery.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

emelar
on 9/5/13 1:10 am - TX

My surgeon does the leak test in the OR, so I didn't have that issue.  But I can't remember reaching for the pitcher of water either!  As others have said, you're kept nice and hydrated through your IV - they're pushing fluids into you - and you're not thirsty.  Plus you're wonked out from the anesthesia and pain meds.  Drinking is going to be at the bottom of your list.

katie L.
on 9/5/13 1:19 am

I love water too. I told the  lady that does the paper work for admit to the hospital how much I love water she said to start drinking as much I could up to my cut off timeI did and it helped. After surgery I wanted something to drink but I could endure it. They gave me some sponges that tasted like lemon aide to keep my month moist. I didn't have the leak test my doctor doesn't do them he's test while he's doing the surgery. I don't know how it works. You can make it until your leak test is done don't stop now. 

linzeelee
on 9/5/13 1:27 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Honestly, it wasn't too bad. You will have an IV, so you won't feel dehydrated and super thirsty. I also rinsed my mouth out with mouthwash several times.

This is definitely not an issue that should stop you!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

LyndiD
on 9/5/13 1:28 am
VSG on 07/23/13

I had a sponge thing on a stick to wash my mouth out if I needed to. Thats it. I was too scared to drink yet anyway so I didnt care! The leak test was early the next morning so I was able to sip afterwards and that was enough.

Tracy D.
on 9/5/13 1:34 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
Yup - and it sucks!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

mpafford
on 9/5/13 2:00 am - TX

Not going to let this stop me.

Heck, I made an apple pie for an employee's birthday last night while sipping chicken broth. (pre-op diet)

My mother in law just kept asking me about the surgery, I told her just getting the band removed, and hernia repair. But made the comet of having my last meal, and she has been asking me why. So I told her of the sleeve. BIG mistake. she is questioning me if this is the way I want to live the rest of my life. HELLO I am not going back to 300+. I swear, some people just dont get it.

Montie P
Lap band 3-4-05 starting weight 312 now 190
LBL/BL  w/lipo            6-18-08
Arm/Thigh Lift w/lipo  1-07-09

Sometimes losing is really winning!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views