What should I eat? Confused....sorry if I ramble a little.

Maggie73
on 9/5/13 3:00 am, edited 9/5/13 3:01 am - Burleson, TX
VSG on 07/22/13

OK, I just started the soft foods phase from the pureed phase.

Monday was my 6 week mark, so I am now in my 7th week.

I tolerate EVERYTHING, have never vomited once since surgery and the only thing that makes me nauseous is my chewable vitamins. I am off my liquid medications (yuck) and back to taking my pills. I don't know if this matters but I am also able to drink water normally....I never have done the sip, sip thing. I chew a little more than normal but I catch myself not chewing as much as I probably should. I try not to drink before or after meals too.

OK, so I have looked over my MFP to see what I have eaten over my journey. And there is no shame in my game...honestly, I haven't been perfect. I know this, I own it.  I know I have eaten a couple things that I probably shouldn't have....I have had 1/2 of a chicken enchilada, I had a real kids burger once with no bun (not fast food) and I have had 1/2 of a California roll (yes, with rice) two different times. Oh and I have had a serving of wheat crackers with some Pace picante sauce quite a few times (don't yell at me)....and I had a cookie once (to appease a 3 yr old niece who baked them). I haven't seen where any of this has affected my losses drastically....but they probably have. I am not committing to perfection.

Anyway...I am getting ALOT of flak from my FB group on the fact that I can eat two medium scrambled eggs at a sitting. People seem to be down-talking my bougie size even though Dr. Kim uses a scope the equivalent of a 34 bougie. Yes, I feel restriction, I am not hungry most of the time and I never feel ravenous. I am happy with whatever went one in that regard, since I have had no complications. I did get confused with my loss numbers yesterday, but I realize now that I am right where I need to be.

I'm rambling...I'm sorry...

The point is, other than my few food adventures, I pretty much eat the same thing now as I did on puree.

8am - RTD Protein Shake

10am - 4oz Cottage Cheese

12 pm - 2oz Turkey and String Cheese (with habanero sauce!)*

3 pm - Greek Yogurt

6pm (or later) - 2 Scrambled Eggs with salsa (sometimes I don't eat it all)

I am really needing to change it up...but the only thing is I work fulltime (and then go to school until 8:30 on three days a week), so everything (except for dinner) has to be portable. I have a fridge and a microwave at my disposal, though.

Can anyone help me with some menus or ideas on high protein meals/snacks?

Also, I have another question....it may maybe scandalous, I'm not looking to get yelled at....I understand why we work so hard to eat high protein food. But why do we scrutinize carb count and fat content and so on? Alot of us can only get in about 600 calories a day...even if we eat a few things with too many carbs or whatever....it seems biologically impossible to not lose weight. If I had to guess I would say I was eating over 4000 calories a day before surgery just to maintain my weight. It seems that even if I ate only 600 calories a day, it wouldn't matter if it was all in chocolate, I would still lose weight.

I speak for myself when I say, I do not plan on banning carbs from my life. I plan to eat things like 100% whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice or other whole grain foods, along with protein and veggies and fruits. I understand that limiting these thing for now is a good idea because they take up room that could be taken up by protein but why be so diligently against whole grains and carbs?

~ Maggie  (Age: 40  Height: 5'7")    

SURGERY DATE: 7/22/2013

START: 254.6 - SURGERY: 246.4 - GOAL: 160 - CURRENT: 155  

emelar
on 9/5/13 3:31 am - TX

Go to theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and bariatricfoodie.com - they have many recipes for things that are easy to make and freezeable.  But mostly, it just takes a little planning.  Tuna in a packet mixed with mayo or yogurt or shredded cheese and zapped in the microwave....tuna melt.  Same thing with packaged chicken.

Like you, I never had a real issue with drinking.  All that means is that you didn't have a lot of swelling.  And eggs are still something of a slider for me, so I'm not really shocked that you can eat 2 eggs.  I always felt my restriction most with dense protein.  And, no, you don't have to track carbs and fat, or even calories.  As long as you focus on getting your protein and your fluids, and you're happy with your weight loss, you're okay.  If you become unhappy with your weight loss, then checking your calories, carbs and fat will become relevant. 

Having said that, I tracked all of them, but didn't purposely go extreme low carb, and I use full fat foods.  I just use less of them if I feel I need to control calories.

Maggie73
on 9/5/13 3:45 am - Burleson, TX
VSG on 07/22/13

Your reply made my day :)

Thanks for the site suggestions.

I do track my stuff just to keep an eye on things and I will continue to do so but I don't panic when I go over 30 carbs or whatever. However, that day I mentioned eating a kids burger on my FB group, you would have thought I committed a mortal sin. I'm thinking I need to stay off there and just stay over here. :)

My mindset seems to be that I should be able to eat a little normal sometimes (like the burger or the enchilada) and if it doesn't affect my losses then all the better. I can't eat much anyway.

claimmaster
on 9/5/13 3:33 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

There are several reasons people avoid too many carbs.

1:  In order to get all your protein in each day, there just isn't room for much extra.

2:  Many people try and stay in a state of ketosis, and you have to limit your carbs to accomplish that.  That is another way to lose weight quickly.

3:  Many people are triggered to eat more when they eat too many carbs, so they avoid them.  Personally, I want to binge when I eat too many carbs.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Maggie73
on 9/5/13 3:47 am - Burleson, TX
VSG on 07/22/13

Good explanation!

I understand #1....and fortunately, #3 doesn't happen with me.

#2 however, my opinion is still out on....lol

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/13 3:33 am, edited 9/5/13 3:50 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

I don't know anything about an endoscope but one nurse compared the endoscope her surgeon used to more like a 38 bougie and even compared it to the bougies she had access to. I doubt you can know for sure it was comparable to a 34 bougie unless you can compare the endoscope he uses to a bougie by sight . How tightly your surgeon makes the sleeve, how far from the pylorus, and his technique would all contribute to your capacity. Also, your genetic stomach size will also contribute to it. I can't eat scrambled 2 eggs at 19 months post op and I would only cook one anyway. I still can't finish 1 scrambled egg. Sometimes adding something like salsa can "lube it up" and make it go down easier therefore you can eat more. Your choices aren't bad though. Have you asked Dr. Kim if it's time for some denser meats like chicken and fish and other meats? You might be ready for that. If you were further post op, I'd tell you to try some beef jerky for a snack. But you might be too early for that. I don't know! I would ask your surgeon or his staff first. Did you get a post op instruction sheet from your doc for your food progression? As far as carbs, that is going to have to be your choice. I also don't want to get into that debate here.

Maggie73
on 9/5/13 3:51 am - Burleson, TX
VSG on 07/22/13

According to Dr. Kim's office, "The equivalent measurement to the 11mm EGD scope would be a 34 Bougie. The advantage to using the scope instead of the bougie is that Dr. Kim can actually visulize the inside incision staple line."

I have an appointment with Dr. Kim and the nutritionist tomorrow....but yes, it is time for denser protein....and I have had fish, sashimi and a bit of chicken....but I haven't got to the point of eating it regularly because I just don't cook much :/

I have a book for food progression, but it just lists items like chicken, fish, turkey etc....it doesn't really give me ideas on how to eat it.

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/13 4:05 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

Ahhh you don't like to cook much either. I am the same way. I've adapted pretty well to that. I buy grilled chicken breasts by the bag and cook them all at once and reseal them and then heat them up when I want some. I also buy grilled chicken fajita and grilled beef fajita strips by the bag and cook them all at once on my nuwave or in my oven and reseal them just like the grilled chicken breasts.  I also do that with shrimp. Sometimes I add a little cheese to the top of them to melt or some lemon seasoning or something like that.  I still eat a lot of swiss cheese slices, cottage cheese, beef jerky, and tuna fish so my boring diet would probably make you yawn even more : because they are quick and easy and I don't have to cook -).  I also buy premade salads at the store to eat but I don't know when you can eat them because you are so early out. Have you checked out Cafe Frisco at the lap SF website? Frisco posts really cool recipes on there. And yes, the world according to eggface's website is awesome. I still hate to cook so I eat pretty boring. I do sometimes order out lobster tail from the local restaurant just for something different and it lasts me days.

Jackie T.
on 9/5/13 3:35 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Maggie there are a lot of different theories and you have to do what works for you.  I will not debate the carb issue.  The only thing that I will say is make sure that you are getting in ALL of your protein before you start eating a lot of carbs.  Protein is important to your body and if you fill up with a lot of carbs and are not getting your protein in then you may see more than usual hair loss and other health problems.  Protein also can make you more satisfied and it stays with you longer. 

The egg issue is different for everyone.  I could probably eat 2 scrambled eggs now but only 1 if that of a hardboiled egg.  The way food is prepared makes a difference on how much of it you can eat.

If you are happy with where you are then that is what is important.  Just remember what got you to the weight you were when you decided that you needed this surgery and try and stay away from those triggers.  You will more than likely stall at some point and you will need to reevaluate what you are eating but you have to decide what works best for you and not what has worked best for someone else.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Maggie73
on 9/5/13 3:56 am - Burleson, TX
VSG on 07/22/13

I just came out of a three week stall....ugh....wasn't fun. But yes, I know what got me here....mac and cheese by the box, 12oz steak and potato dinners, cupcakes, snack cakes, anything fried and ice cream. Straight up junk. Ugh....I don't see myself going back to all that.

And yea, I can only eat one hard boiled egg, for sure.

Thanks so much!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views