One month post-op

theladyelsie
on 9/5/13 11:43 pm
VSG on 08/06/13

It is hard to believe that a month has gone by since my surgery.  It still feels like yesterday that I was taking my cats to the vet to be boarded and waiting for 10:30 to get here so I could start the journey to the hospital.  I've had my ups and downs and definitely some time asking myself what I did to myself.  But I can honestly say one month out I feel absolutely fabulous.

As I sit here typing in jeans I haven't worn in forever and they are COMFORTABLE on me (I didn't have to lay down on the bed to get them zipped) and wearing a 22/24 instead of a 26/28 I marvel at how different my life is right now.   Since March of this year I've lost about 52 lbs.  I'm the lowest weight I have been that I can remember.  I prepare all my own meals.  I plan.  I grocery shop.  I clip coupons.  I have ate a restaurant 3 times in 1 month when I used to eat all my meals out (and now I just have eggbeaters and a to-go box.)  I have been off pop for almost 50 days and, honestly, I don't miss it.  I'm finding foods I enjoy and ways to cook healthy foods (soft foods phase now) and it feels so good to really take care of myself.

I had an attitude adjustment in how I view my life when I had the surgery.  I unfortunately had to give up some volunteer committments but I realized that the stress of that wasn't worth it and ultimately it took the focus away from me.  I just thought if I focus on myself for awhile and allow myself to be selfish then I'm just building a better self that eventually can do more good.  It is hard to volunteer for stuff and have to worry that you will have to stand up for an extended period when you know you can't or worry you will have to walk too far, etc.  I see my surgeon Monday and hopefully he will tell me to get myself into the gym and I am very excited to be able to start lifting weights again and just continue the progress.

My grandmother recently took a turn downhill (although she is getting better) and it was very, very hard.  within a matter of less than a week I (since I'm her power of attorney) was searching for home care, okaying nursing home communications, making attorney appointments.  And I still wanted food.  I wanted food bad because that is the only way I know how to cope.  Or knew, I should say.  Because despite that I have not ate anything that is not on my plan.  I wasn't perfect.  I'm still struggling getting all my foods in.  I'm still struggling with tracking.  I'm still struggling with weighing and measuring.  But to go through something tumultuous like that and not at least try to eat something bad for me just gave me the realization that my head is in the game and I'm stronger than I thought I was.

I still have some tenderness in my belly and there are some positions I can't sleep in yet, but otherwise I feel fabulous.  I used to have at least 3 - 4 headaches a week and I've only had 1 or 2 since my surgery.  I'm "radiant."  I finally had the courage to put up (and keep up) a picture of myself on fb.  My confidence is soaring.  Obviously it is from the fact that I am looking better physically (although I still have a long way to go) but moreso because I am building self-esteem through doing the right things.  

Anyway I'm babbling but I'm very very excited about my progress and just wanted to share my experiences with all of you.  And also thank all of you for providing your experience and struggles and advice that have made it easier for those of us who have read your posts and took it to heart. :)

katym
on 9/5/13 11:52 pm - PA

hi there,

Congrats on a great start to your journey!

all the best, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

Neondeon25
on 9/5/13 11:59 pm
VSG on 06/25/13

Congrats on the Progress!!

HW:263,SW:250,M1-28.4,M2-16.1,M3-10.5

You'll never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have.

cappy11448
on 9/6/13 12:23 am

This is a wonderful post.  So thoughtful and authentic.  Thank you for posting it.   I am so impressed with your attitudes and the way you are coping and changing. 

Congratulations on losing 52 pounds already.  You are really working that sleeve. 

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

tdallison
on 9/6/13 2:55 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Great job!  Keep it up!

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

Joy M.
on 9/6/13 3:11 am
VSG on 08/06/13

Congrats on ur weight loss! 

Tracy D.
on 9/6/13 3:38 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
You are doing so well and your happiness really shines through in this post Congrats!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Heather_Austin
on 9/6/13 5:42 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

That is awesome and congratulations!.  I am sorry to hear about your grandmother.  My own grandmother, who turned 91 last month is in town visiting and I cherish all of the time I can spend with her.

Heather - Austin, TX

Most Active