have been approved for surgery!!

tbandab
on 9/8/13 12:18 pm - Rawlings, MD

been approved for sleeve surgery now waiting on date from doctor. getting a little scared now and opinions would be great

LtWeight
on 9/8/13 12:32 pm - MO
VSG on 07/29/13

Congratulations!  I was on vacation over the 4th of July when I got the call I was approved.  I didn't expect it so soon with the holiday!  Then they called with my date the next day.  I felt the same way and I was so unprepared when I returned from vacation (protein and all) but those 2 weeks FLEW by and before I knew it I was sleeved. 

My surgeon calmed my nerves the last pre op appointment the week before surgery.  I listened added a cd they gave us at a class with calming music and visualizations along with a cd I had with ocean waves to my iPod and listened to it quite a few times.  I think it helped a lot.  I just focused on the outcome.  My taste changed for the protein drink I was using and I didn't care for it after surgery so I'd try to get some samples if you haven't already just in case you have the same thing happen. 

My surgery was much easier than I had expected and I felt so much better than I had imagined.  I hope you have a similar outcome! Best wishes for a speedy recovery! 

DreamAngel3372
on 9/8/13 12:33 pm

Yay! You'll be joining us on the losers bench in no time.

Everyone is different...but, I had no pain whatsoever..just sore. No nausea either.

Good luck and let us know when you get scheduled!

-Sheri

Keep your dreams alive. All things are possible for those who believe.

Mousesmom
on 9/8/13 12:35 pm - OR
VSG on 03/18/13
Its the best thing I have done for myself.
The scared is normal. I was on "autopilot" myself. It just didn't feel real. Sitting at the hospital waiting ( my surgery was delayed 2 hours. Don't know why) it felt very surreal
My recovery was good. I slept the full day as my nausea was bad. They pumped in the anti nausea meds and i slept
I am one of the lucky ones. No pain, no nausea, sleeve of steel and have lost 70 lbs.
Good Luck and enjoy the ride.
themexcellentone
on 9/8/13 12:48 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Congratulations!  I can tell you that I don't for a minute regret my choice to go through with the surgery.  I came off my diabetes medication 4 weeks post-op, and my blood pressure meds were cut then too.  I am feeling better now than I have in a very, very long time.  I get around a lot better, and I look better.  Yes, the pre-op period is tough, but compared to remaining at nearly 400 pounds, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Your best bet now is to learn as much as possible from folks here and from your doctor so that you have a better idea of what you're in for.  It will not always be easy, but neither is staying obese.  I will tell you that for me (and my husband, he was sleeved last month) it has been completely and totally worth it. 

If you want to learn more, I write a blog about my experiences and I'd encourage you to go and read. :)

Good luck!  Keep us posted about your progress.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

rengirl1978
on 9/8/13 3:20 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Congrats! How exciting! I am pre-op as well, still have to get psych eval.

For suggestions, start buying the stuff you will need post op such as food scale, blender bottles, no straw water bottle, different protein powders/drinks to try, broth, etc.

Good luck!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

chrissychris40
on 9/9/13 7:21 am - PA
You go dont be scared i had my gastric bypass july and thank god i am great and so will you good luck
linzeelee
on 9/9/13 9:29 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13
I think it's normal to be nervous. I myself was not too nervous until they were about to wheel me into the operating room, but I think I was the exception to the rule on nerves.

I had about a month to wait once my surgery was scheduled. I spent my time reading this board and shopping for post-op essentials. Other than that preparation, I tried to stay busy and not think about the actual surgery too much. I didn't give myself time to get nervous.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views