Liquid diet Coffee Shake DELICIOUS! 50 gms Protein

jubigirl
on 9/9/13 4:31 am
VSG on 08/26/13

I am 2 weeks out and as far as I can tell, my surgeon opts for a very conservative eating (drinking) plan post op.

I have been doing well with my water intake but struggle to get my protein.  I am SICK of Premier chocolate shakes.  I have gone to Smoothie King a few times and got the chocolate gladiator without fruit. (not allowed yet)  However I got seriously ill after the last one so, no more of that for me. 

I have a box of vanilla Premiere Protein shakes and HATE the vanilla.  While in the grocery store the other day I saw the International Delight Coffees (may have name wrong...the square tin stuff that's instant)  I saw they had sugar and caffeine free mocha.  I said YUMMY.  I then picked up a container of decaf instant coffee.  I decided I was going to experiment.

TO be honest, I'm not a huge coffee drinker.  I every now and then go through McDonalds and get there 10k calorie (exaggerating)  delicious iced coffee.  :) However, I had to get some different taste.  Everything has been chocolate or fruit flavor. YUCK  I'm sick of it!

RECIPE made in Nutri Bullet

Pour in 1 Vanilla Premier Protein (160 Calories 30 protein)

1 tsp International Coffee  Sugar Free Mocha (full serving 1 1/3 tsp 30 Calories)

1/2 tsp instant coffee (I use decaf) THis can be adjusted to taste

1 Scoop Unjury unflavored protein powder (90 calories 20 protein)

Add a bunch of ice (I do 2 double hand fulls)

Blend!  Icy coffee  YUMMY

I realize it is NOT very low calorie for those eating full diet.  However those of us still on liquid, its lower in calories than 2 shakes and drinking the one delicious drink satisifies my current protein goal, as established by my surgeon.

I also found I can tolerate sugar free Almond Milk with a scoop of Unjury. 

I hope this give some an added idea of something different to drink.

This is one heck of an adventure! I can eat bananas and potato this week...sad thing is, I have absolutely no interest in either. I think that's a good thing!

Have a great week!

Kelli

MsBobbiTX
on 9/9/13 4:36 am
VSG on 09/16/13

Thank God you posted this!  This is my first day of pre-op vanilla shakes and I'm about to puke.  Blech.  I gotta do something different.

jubigirl
on 9/9/13 4:49 am
VSG on 08/26/13

I bought the vanilla and chocolate.  I can take the chocolate (VERY cold) barely but the vanilla...NO!  And everything is fruity.  I didn't like fruity stuff before.  I am not a broth drinker..   This drink gets my short term protein goal down in one drink.  I hope you enjoy it.

MsBobbiTX
on 9/9/13 4:53 am
VSG on 09/16/13
Thank you!

Tammy V.
on 9/9/13 6:09 am - Alvarado, TX
Try putting equal in it much better i promise for the vanilla. I couldnt stand it either
jubigirl
on 9/9/13 8:31 am
VSG on 08/26/13

I think it's too sweet already.  I'm just not a shake drinker to begin with.  I choke the chocolate down but the coffee is the only way i can tolerate the vanilla.

Cathy K.
on 9/9/13 4:59 am

never thought of the international coffee drinks, I often use the unjury unflavored in juices, v8 low sodium before surgery. I am 3 weeks out and very sick of the sweet drinks, will give it a try. I also had syntrax lemon tea, and the lemon cuts some of the sweet and have added extra powder  to it.

good luck

jubigirl
on 9/9/13 8:32 am
VSG on 08/26/13

I've been apprehensive about putting it in the drinks.  I'm going to get some v8 tomorrow and experiment. I'm like you SICK of sweet drinks!!

PrincessPR
on 9/9/13 6:05 am
VSG on 12/17/13

Sounds good but remember your body cannot absorb that much protein so you're wasting it. Try to stick to 25-30 grams... :-)

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.” ~Vince Lombardi   Join me and help those with cancer!!!

jubigirl
on 9/9/13 6:23 am
VSG on 08/26/13
You mean at once? Hmmm guess I will freeze half, blend again and drink later. Thanks!
Most Active