Unexpected Side Effects of Weight Loss + Plastics...

rhearob
on 9/23/13 1:12 am - TN

So recently I went to my parents for my mothers 72nd birthday (which was really difficult as she was only turning 68, yikes!).  They live in south Alabama, and have an indoor heated pool.  Yeah, I know.  Really?

Anyway, as I had just gotten my clearance to submerge myself after my last round of plastics, I was thrilled to go for a swim.  It had been a while, and even longer since swimming without a shirt.  I don;t think my bare chest had seen a swimming pool since my teenage years.

Before my surgery swimming had always been almost effortless.  After my weight loss, I had the issues with excess skin that had to be restrained - bc it all wanted to go its own direction in water.

I wasn't prepared for what I found in Alabama.  

I can't swim.  I didn't know I couldn't swim. I was pretty sure all those swimming lessons as a kid stuck.  I know the theory, I know how to move.

Root cause - I don't float.  I couldn't float when I tried.  I SINK.  Like a rock.  If I ever **** off a B-movie mobster he won't need concrete overshoes for me.

So, proof finally for all of those who thought it for years - I'm dense.

So here is my list of bizarre changes I noted during weight loss:

1.  My feet got smaller

2.  Lost 2-3 ring sizes

3.  My jaw changed shape as I lost weight (MY dentist had to refit my bridge 3 or 4 times, poor guy)

4.  Laptop case straps hurt the hell out of my collar bone

5.  Long Car/Plane trips are a pain in the ass - literally.  

6.  My BP and Resting heart rate are consistently lower than my 29 YO husband

7.  Guys flirt with me (Girls too, BUt I tend to not notice that).

8.  I sink.

I am sure theres more.  SO whats your list?

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Shagdoll
on 9/23/13 1:46 am, edited 9/23/13 1:47 am

You sink???  For reals Rob???  angry

Question:  are you still losing weight past your lowest goal?  I've seen a little weight lost from you, here & there lately on MFP. 

I love that my fingers aren't so pudgy anymore.  I think I used to squeeze my fingers in size 8 rings but I was really a 9 on the "ring" finger.  I am now a size 6.5, yay!!!  The dental issues you have are a trip but cool since you are rockin' some major nice bone structure!

I bet you look great.  Please post some recent pics soon my friend!!!  Congrats on all your success & NSV's post-op!!

rhearob
on 9/23/13 2:00 am, edited 9/23/13 2:00 am - TN

In Maintaining, I gain and lose.  My weight can fluctuate as many as 5 lbs from day to day.  I try not to obsess over it - sometimes that is harder than others.

My lowest weight since my bariatrics was 171 lbs.  For a while I was maintaining around 175, Lately more like 185.  I'm trying to actually manage fat% more than weight.  I am keeping that around 14%.  When It creeps up I diet back down.  

Cpngrats on the ring sizes - Its weird to think we stored that much in our hands isn't it?  Thomas and I have Titanium bands and I have to send mine back to be remanufactured.

Nikke2003
on 9/23/13 1:48 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

LOL.... nice list! So glad to hear that you are healing from surgery... you're all done with plastics now, right?

My list really only consists of the constant pain in the ass, like you mention. BUT, I'm also experiencing a lot more back and hip pain... I think it's from less cushioning honestly. I mean, I had very specific, intense lower back pain when I was heavier from the weight... but now I just can't get comfortable in bed. No matter how I lay down, my back and hips hurt! I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in many months! ugh!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

rhearob
on 9/23/13 2:11 am - TN

I am all done with Plastics now.  Just had my 6 week check up from the Brach+Mastopexy.  Everything is looking great.

For me the biggest pain in bed was pinching loose skin.  Before my LBL massive amounts of skin would pinch whenever I would try and move at night.  Even exercising was harder because that loose skin would move even under compression garments.  I had some hip flexor injuries that I think were caused by the stress from the loose skin causing off balanced loads.  

Even after the LBL, I would have some night time pinching on my upper back and chest.  Life after both rounds of plastics is a revelation.  I am so much more comfortable Physically and emotionally than I ever thought I would be.  

My compression shirts had become my security item.  The first time I went out without one, I was so insecure.  I had gotten so acclimated to that tight, snug spandex on my skin that I had never imagined that I was using it emotionally as well.  I felt fat.  I had not felt the fabric of my outerwear touch my skin in so long, I wasn't sure what I was feeling.  It took a while to get used to life without them.  NOw I feel free, Like a I can wear whatever I want, whenever I want.

Nancybefree
on 9/23/13 3:51 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I'm glad to hear that your recovery from the last plastics is going so well!  I apologize for not asking about that in my other post.  Just now catching up on the rest of the thread.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

rhearob
on 9/23/13 3:55 am - TN

No apologies necessary!

MuttLover
on 9/23/13 2:08 am
VSG on 11/14/12

LOL -- sorry, but the first time I went back into the therapy pool after dropping about 60 pounds or so, I had on ankle weights and one noodle -- that's what I had used for deep water traction for a couple of years.  As I walked into the deeper water, I sunk like a concrete block as well.  The lifeguard just looked at me like I was nuts as a I grabbed the handrail and pulled myself into the shallower water -- and took off the ankle weights before I tried again!

I've still got enough to float (not sure that will ever be a problem!)

But congrats on having so little body fat that you sink!  And enjoy the flirting!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Nancybefree
on 9/23/13 2:34 am
VSG on 11/21/12

"So, proof finally for all of those who thought it for years - I'm dense."  LOL to the point of nearly spit-taking my egg whites all over my desk.  :)

That's some list there -- congratulations on your continued success, even with the unforeseen problems it brought which need adjustment.  If we do this right we get a whole new body in which we need to learn how to live. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Pobearsam7
on 9/23/13 7:15 am
Great to hear!!! You have done well!!!

Kelly                

Most Active