Why Can't we drink wine/liquor

mpafford
on 9/23/13 2:49 am - TX

I know there must be some great reason why we are not suppose to drink wine/liquor for 3 months out, but what is the reason?

I am just 2 weeks out, and we went to a get together this past weekend, and everyone BUT me was having some kind of adult drink. The fact that I did not eat one of the many yummy food choices did not bother me near as bad as not having a drink to celebrate.

I am sure my wine days are over, but the other????

Montie P
Lap band 3-4-05 starting weight 312 now 190
LBL/BL  w/lipo            6-18-08
Arm/Thigh Lift w/lipo  1-07-09

Sometimes losing is really winning!
rhearob
on 9/23/13 2:55 am - TN

Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't drink your calories?"

If not, think about that and look at the number of calories in a glass of wine or liquor.

Alcohol also inhibits your ability to make good choices.  Right now, Two drinks followed by a potato skin and your calorie limits for the day is gone.

Also - at two weeks out your stomach is just healing.  You don't even have a decent scar line over the incision.  You don't need to be doing anything to tempt that new tummy.  It has just been burned in two, stapled, and oversewn.  Its pretty pissed at you.  Give it time.

Personally, I didn't drin****il I was past goal.  Even then I logged it in My fitnessPal and worked it into my diet plan for the day.  And Oh yeah, That two ounce shot of Dewars - 100 calories.  If I had had that mixed into a mixed drink with a fruit juice or some other base - probably 600.  Sugar free mixed drinks are a bit of a rarity.

My advice - even after three months, stay away from the booze and learn to have a good time with your friends without it,

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Shagdoll
on 9/23/13 2:58 am, edited 9/23/13 2:59 am

The wine/liquor will hit us like a ton of bricks so early out, plus it's just empty calories.  That's pretty much the jist of it. 

Sounds like you are a social drinker like me.  I love a nice glass of wine but it's probably best to just stay away in the beginning months.  Wine also makes me retain water like mad so when I'd see that reflect on the scale, I would get discouraged. 

Just MHO but avoiding alcohol right now will do your sleeve good.  You want to heal, drop the swelling (& weight) before we start reintroducing certain things back in our diet. 

Congrats on being sleeved!!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

71dart
on 9/23/13 4:29 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with
First of all, alcohol hits me MUCH faster than pre-op and is far less predictable too.

Secondly, I began social drinking again about 5 months post-op and decided to stop drinking about a month ago. The week after I quit, I lost 5 lbs. While some of that may have been due to water, or perhaps I was drinking more calories than I thought or wanted to admit.

Tom

mickeymantle
on 9/23/13 4:50 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

also it is easy to transfer your food addiction to a alcohol addiction

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

pharmagirl_45
on 9/23/13 4:58 am - NJ
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I know a girl who had VSG back in June and one week after surgery she was drinking wine and hasn't stopped since!  She hasn't really lose any weight so I won't drink if I were you.

(deactivated member)
on 9/23/13 4:59 am - Melrose, MA
VSG on 03/11/13

My advice: don't drink yet. My surgeon said wait six months, which at first sounded like an eternity!! However, now that I've hit six months and am allowed to drink, I still don't because i don't miss it as much as I had thought I would. Also, I make poor food choices with alcohol and I am frankly scared of how ialcohol will affect me immediately and the day after. I keep hinting to people that I will have a glass of wine and then I never do!

Cathy K.
on 9/23/13 5:15 am

I went to a wedding over the weekend. When it came time for the toast, I put some water in my glass and toasted right along with everyone else. The food wasn't the greatest and the cake had light icing on it yuck to me. so the food was easy. 3 meatballs and a piece of  sausage. Then dance, dance, dance great time.

mtck176
on 9/23/13 7:50 am - NJ
VSG on 11/21/12

I waited 6 months before drinking alcohol. Everyone who answered is right about waiting till your healed, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying an adult drink after your healing time. You are only going to want 1 because it does go to your head quicker then before surgery. FYI Crystal Light makes Margarita, Appletini, and Mojito flavors. They are all excellent. Make sure you eat first so you don't get hungry later.

Nancybefree
on 9/23/13 8:53 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I know of an RNY patient who lost a lot of weight, but whose alcoholism kicked in again along the way.  Now she is drinking her calories mostly, but she brags that she doesn't eat much food.  My understanding is that she is almost back up at her starting weight.  

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Most Active