How much

bdaycakegirl
on 9/23/13 7:11 am

can a "mature" sleeve hold? I am talking appropriate food, not junk.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/23/13 7:29 am
VSG on 10/09/12

It varies greatly! Depending on the initial size and length of your stomach, how big or small or tight or loose your surgeon makes the sleeve, how much if any fundus is left and how much it stretches - which in turn depends on how much or little you eat...I have read figures of anywhere between 4 and 12 oz or even more and some less. I am at almost one year so probably close to mature and I can eat 3-4 oz of protein and 1-2 oz of something else, usually veggies. I am still comfortably satiated on one egg or 3 oz of cottage cheese. Of course sliders just go down without any problem! I have no idea how long my stomach was/is but my doc did say post op that it holds 2 oz and would double in the capacity which is pretty accurate. He also told me I would be at the weight I am at now at one year post op. pretty spot on prediction!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ravenbrown
on 9/23/13 7:30 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Almost jinx!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/23/13 7:40 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Awwwee I knew it! We are twins separated at birth!!!! ...except that I am almost 20 years older than you and not nearly as lovely! But apart from that we are the same down to loving puppy and baby breath! 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ravenbrown
on 9/23/13 7:50 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

You're more lovely! 

ravenbrown
on 9/23/13 7:30 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

Depends on the sleeve.  It can vary a ton from person to person dependent on their anatomy, their surgeon's technique, their bougie size.  I can eat between 2.5-3 ounces of dense protein and 3-4 bites of vegetables or salad.  I'm almost a year out.

rhearob
on 9/23/13 7:29 am - TN

that will vary quite a bit based on the length of your stomach, your surgeons technique, and how well you manage your sleeve.  I can hold about 7 ounces by mass of food comfortably.  Usually a meal will be about 5 oz of chicken an 1 oz each of two veggies.

talk to your surgeon to get a good estimate based on your own case.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

bdaycakegirl
on 9/23/13 7:32 am

I'm scared I'm gonna have a big one. UGH. I wish that there were easy answers to this. I had my 2 hour class with the NUT today, and now, based on stuff, not sure about RNY again. I go BACK and FORTH, back and forth. I wish I could call the surgeon everything I have a new thought pop into my head.

Shagdoll
on 9/23/13 8:40 am

Let me just say this, in response to this post from you ... a lot of us think we will have WLS and not lose the weight or that our tool won't help us as much as we'd hope for.  The sleeve is amazing and as long as you comply on your end, which seems like you will, you will do just fine!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

bdaycakegirl
on 9/23/13 8:45 am

Thanks! I am just so scared of making the wrong decision. I want so much to do this RIGHT!!!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views