Why do different types of food fill my stomach more than others

jbarfield
on 10/1/13 11:46 pm

I am 5 years out and can eat 6 oz of greek yogurt, but I still can only eat 2-3 oz of protein at a time.  What is the difference?

LosingSarah
on 10/1/13 11:50 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I would guess that it's because yogurt has a higher water content than protein. It's soft and probably passes through the stomach faster than the more dense protein.

This is just a guess on my part. 

Keith L.
on 10/1/13 11:53 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Most of it has to do with density. Proteins like beef, chicken, pork are much more dense than yogurt. I can eat a cup of yogurt but 3 chicken wings is the limit. After density comes dryness. Juicy beef I can eat about 4 oz of easily but chicken 2-3 oz and I am miserable. I like white meat and it tends to be more dry than other meat. Fish I can eat more like 5oz, so there again moisture and density play a part. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Keith L.
on 10/1/13 11:54 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

More specifically it also has to do with how quickly what you are eating can pass through the pyloric valve. Greek Yogurt is basically going to go right through. Dense protein depending on how well you chew it will take quite a bit longer.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

jbarfield
on 10/2/13 12:11 am

Makes sense, I assumed it had to do with the density, didn't think about moisture.  Thanks

Jackie Barfield
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/13 12:27 am - Lower Burrell, PA

That is a question I have as well... I am 4 and half months out and I can only eat maybe 1 oz of ground meat but a 4 oz steak... SOOOO strange

mickeymantle
on 10/2/13 2:37 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active