extreme mood swings since surgery???

Mxbomb
on 10/18/13 8:17 am

I'm 7 weeks post op, have lost 70 lbs, and am getting anxiety issues which i never had before and mood swings, my Doc says im going through   food withdrawl, He says  I lost my best friend, as much as I dont want to admit it< I guess he is right, anyone else's moods all over the place?

prior to surgery I was a very happy go lucky individual, now I'm scared I will be a grouchy asshole the rest of my life. LOL

Does this get better?

Nancybefree
on 10/18/13 9:03 am
VSG on 11/21/12

It's normal to go through the roller coaster emotions postop.  It does indeed get better.  Hang in there!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Mochalocks12
on 10/18/13 9:04 am - Canada
I'm two months post op, and am just finally starting to settle....My surgeon told me out hormones go crazy for a while after surgery and it takes a long time for them to settle, but a lot what your doctor said is true, food has been used as a coping mechanism and now we have to deal with our emotions whatever they are...give yourself a break, your doing fantastic! You are normal! Good luck!

Referral July 30, 2013..VSG BY Dr. Lloyd Smith Aug 12, 2013.  Pre OPTI weight: 350. Sw331 CW190

Mxbomb
on 10/18/13 10:02 am

Thanks guys

I was told there is a strong mental aspect to this surgery prior to getting it, however I thought it would be dealing with not being able to eat foods that i loved, well I dont miss them,  I do miss them as a way of coping with stress, Oh well, Im gonna start excersising this week no matter how tired or weak i feel. I gotta just remember water,water,water.lol

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/13 1:32 pm
RNY on 03/10/14

I'm glad to hear it too. I'm 5 weeks post-op and thought I was losing my mind. Glad to know its a temporary thing.

Jus1nita
on 10/19/13 4:37 am - TX
VSG on 09/23/13

I have been going through the emotional rollercoaster thingy, but I thought it was due to monthly female hormonal changes, then I remembered the surgeon saying there will be hormonal changes that would cause our mood to fluctuate.  I recently had an emotional episode, so what I've started doing is journaling in order to manage it.   What you want to do is to recognize the mood change at the onset, and document it when it occurs, how long it lasts, and any events that occurred during that time.  

By journaling, it keeps you aware of what's going on, which allows you to implement what I call a mood management plan to shift the mood.  Instead of your hormones ruling you, you become the conductor by turning the wheel, and stirring those moods in another direction.  

After a while, you will be able to immediately recognize the shift, and when the mood swing occurs, your brain will yell.... "Huh Oh, mood swing occurring".... I need to take a walk, or I need to read, or whatever coping tools you have implemented to shift the mood swing.  For me its writing or getting out into nature, like riding the bike at the beach, or hiking!  

Mxbomb
on 10/21/13 7:02 am

Thank you, I will try this

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views