Self-Image after WLS

mdusha
on 10/20/13 11:00 pm - FL
VSG on 12/07/12

I work hard to manage my self-image now that i'm 142lbs smaller. In my head, I have to fight the "i'm the fat girl" message all the time.

Over time, I've found some methods that seem to help with this, and I'm curious...what do you find to be your biggest hurdles in dealing with self-image after WLS? 

For me, I think managing our self-image is KEY to avoiding regain.

Would love to hear your thoughts on stumbling blocks to managing self-image and self-perception after WLS.

Check out my blog at www.selfimageafterweightloss.com

jameas
on 10/20/13 11:40 pm

I am the opposite I lose 50# and I am thinking excellent I am good, when I have 70# to go so I am fighting the opposite, trying to get the fat girl mentality geeze I think I need more something?????/I have a few freind with RNYs I need to get together I believe and get some more inform about my head!

JAlston
on 10/21/13 1:01 am
VSG on 12/07/12

I don't really have much to add...but I still have some issues with self-image. I see an overweight person still, not all the time but I have my moments. People who knew me my whole life as a size 24-26 don't understand why I am trying to lose more.

I look at pictures of my old self to remind me and help keep me grounded and focused.

How do you manage your self-image to help with no regain? I am so used to being the fat girl in every situation, sometimes it seems like more work to re-wire the brain after such weight loss.

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

KittyKarin
on 10/21/13 1:53 am - FL
VSG on 01/09/13

Having a therapist help me with this is my number one way to deal with my self-image.  I am very up and down when it comes to how I look at myself.  Some days, I think I am the hottest chick around! You can't tell me I don't look good. lol  Then the next day, I will wake up feeling like a fat cow and not even wanna leave my house.  Most days, I am somewhere in the middle.  I have to work with a professional to help me not let my emotions take over.  Self-talk seems to be the biggest thing I use to combat bad self-image.  I may seem like a crazy person to others but when I feel fat and start getting down, I stop and talk to myself (sometimes out loud), just like I would if I had a friend with the same feelings about herself.  Just let's me reset and focus on facts rather than my overwhelming emotions.

KittyKarin :-) Starting weight: 362 / Surgery weight: 353 / Current weight: 190 (03/27/2017)

Nikke2003
on 10/21/13 2:06 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I think I have the opposite problem. I think I look terrific, but still acknowledge that yes, I'm technically still obese and have a long way to go. BUT, I strut around sometimes feeling super good about myself and confident....and then when I get no attention from strangers... such as someone flirting with me or whatever.... then I think, "**** maybe I don't REALLY look as good as I think!" haha

I know how terribly vapid that sounds. I guess I just hope for that validation from a stranger that I look good because right now... tons of people tell me that I look good.... but they knew me at 444 lbs, ya know? They tell me I look good, but they also told me that 100 lbs ago because it's all relative. So, maybe that's what I'm doing too. I remember how I used to look and feel and so now that it has improved 1000000%, I think I look fabulous when maybe that's not really what other people (that don't know me) see lol!!

I guess my ego just gets a little bruised when I hear stories on these boards about people getting hit on and nothing like that has remotely happened to me yet. Damn it, I want to be flattered too! LOL

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

grayC
on 10/21/13 12:16 pm
VSG on 05/01/13
This thread really speaks to me...
Today I was at a local strip mall running some errands..in the past every store I'd go to, I'd go back to the car and move it closer to the next shop and so on and so forth..
Since VSG I've parked in one place and walked from store to store..
Well today as I was strutting ( cause it's a good day self-esteem wise)
A random thought crossed my mind and it was..
I don't remember what it feels like to be heavy, uncomfortable in my skin, and walk with my head down, in shame, not wanting to make eye contact...
This is not an everyday thought hell.....it's not an every month occurrence but today it was..my new normal..IDK..but I liked it...
I look at the hideousness that is my reflection in the mirror naked as a j-bird and I see the scars of the battle I'm fighting...I'll never have a flat stomach, maybe I'll get close..hell I'm down to a 33 waist from 45 that's an accomplishment, but I know it's not enough, when before this surgery I'd say to myself "oh if I could only get down to 180 I'd be ecstatic" I've. So surpassed it, but I know I still have more work..maybe b/c we've been SOOO hard on ourselves..our own worst critics that we cannot allow ourselves to be happy and pride filled.....and we should have OOODLES of PRIDE..we've worked hard, are fighting the fight and we deserve to feel proud of ourselves...but years of self doubt, self sabotage and let's face it self bulling ( if that's even a thing) will be hard to break.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 56 views