My aversion to exercise - where has it gone??

SophieNJ
on 10/20/13 11:27 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Six and a half months out, I’ve finally ramped up ( what? ramped up? finally started! ) exercising….I knew I’d hardly ever do it at first, but didn’t know how much I’d enjoy it now….maybe cause it’s easier, I’m not embarrassed when out in public or the gym, and am really liking those endorphins :)   And the freedom to think about doing anything physical…including playing with the ideas of zip lining, para sailing, horseback riding.  We also know when on vacations we will look for renting bicycles and doing as much walking touring as we can.  Thank you sleeve, Dr Nusbaum (and wonderful staff), and thank you OH peeps, for giving me the courage to do this in the first place.

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

joatsaint
on 10/20/13 11:32 pm - TX

You must have given it to me! :-P I wouldn't miss working out one bit if I could get along without it. I miss not exercising on the days I can't, but it's not something I look forward to.

Keep Pimpin' that Sleeve

Free ebook - The Top 10 Weight Loss Surgery Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

Check out my Youtube channel where I answer your Most Frequently Asked Questions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensleeve/videos

AdeanaMarie
on 10/21/13 12:22 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I know what you mean.  I wish I had started sooner.  But honestly, was not mentally or emotionally ready to start anything more than walking, biking and water fitness.  I finally started weight training and I love it.  Do I like getting up at 5:45 AM.  No way.  Would I rather watch a DVD and knit, sure.  But I tell you what, I do not hate it anymore and it sure has increased my confidence in what else I can do.  Love feeling strong.  Love my muscles hurting just that tiny bit, making me aware that I used them.  Love it is only 3-4 days a week for 30 minutes (at this point).  I walk the dog on the other days.  Even toying with doing a yoga DVD on my days off weight training.  Who am I?  A woman who finally realizes that exercise is worth the effort and YES, I can enjoy it.

Keep it up, you are doing great!

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

MsVonne
on 10/21/13 1:00 am - MI
VSG on 08/28/13

I so get it I'm the same way because of my size I'm embarassed to go to the gym at my current weight.  What gets to me is the people there the employees are the worse when you go to the gym and you look to them to help you and guide you and they look at you like what's the use you won't do it so they don't give you any attention.  So I quit because I don't know what I'm doing and don't have any structure to follow and truly don't need to be judge when I'm there to get fit like everyone else.  I know it's not just me that when you are overweight you are overlooked at the gym and only given minimal time and attention.  That is why I need a buddy to go with to help me get passed that.

AdeanaMarie
on 10/21/13 1:49 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I just do DVD weight training at home.  I have 5 pound and 8 pound weights.  Right now I am doing Leslie Sansone's Walk it off in 30, the Firm in 30 section with weight training.  She explains how to do it and it is in the privacy of your home.  Which is convenient.  Love it.  I have never liked gyms.  Might go to one in the future, but for now, I really do not like exercising around people I do not know.  I am thinking about taking some sort of beginners class this winter, just for fun.  Maybe kick boxing.  The gyms around me are VERY expensive.  The cheap ones are scary.  So a class through a school or community center might be worth a try.  Might go over to a school where I do water fitness and use the school gym.  $3 each time or you can buy a month pass.  Trainer is there to help as well.  We will see.  Trying new things is empowering.  Do not fear, it gets easier.  I did not even attempt more complex exercise until over a year and a half post op.  With that said, wish I had started sooner.  :O)

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

theladyelsie
on 10/21/13 7:52 am
VSG on 08/06/13

This is not the case in all gyms.  If there are others in your area please try another one.  I have had such good experiences from the staff to other patrons at the gyms I have memberships at.  This makes me sad to hear that they are almost expecting you to fail so not bothering with you.   :(

MsVonne
on 10/21/13 11:03 am - MI
VSG on 08/28/13

I really hope not but I haven't had much luck with gyms.

SophieNJ
on 10/21/13 6:51 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

however, the brain, she don't work so well....LOL, make that seven and a half months out :)

theladyelsie
on 10/21/13 7:55 am
VSG on 08/06/13

I look forward to my workouts so much now.  I love weight training more than anything and I see it as a gateway into so many things.  Am really trying to step up the cardio now (I hate cardio but I did find piloxing to be a fun way to do cardio and have been doing just 30 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill and I feel like it goes by quite fast) while continuing to get stronger in the weight room.  

Most Active