UTI s after VSG? :(

sleevegirl1014
on 11/4/13 1:25 pm - Fremont, CA

Hello Folks,

I can feel a UTI coming up. I only had one long long back! I am wondering if UTIs are common post WLS? I read a lot of posts about the same, and there are mixed responses, I am so scared. Some say it is very common as your body is in Ketosis mode!!! :(

Please help me :( I am visiting my PCP first thing in the morning tomorrow. I do not want to regret having VSG! :(

RoMoFo
on 11/4/13 10:46 pm
VSG on 09/19/13

I have a friend that happened to and she's fine now.  Get your antibiotics and feel better.

Jiliana2
on 11/4/13 10:53 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

UTIs are not fun. I hope your PCP can help you resolve it quickly.

This brings to mind something though: when I sense a UTI coming on quickly, I start pounding back the cranberry juice to ease the symptoms and sometimes eliminate them entirely. Though, post-surgery I suppose I won't be able to do that, because of the sugar content. I must go searching for something to replace that cranberry juice as my go-to UTI fighter when they occur.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Hislady
on 11/5/13 2:38 am - Vancouver, WA

It can happen after any surgery because they load you up on antibiotics for the surgery (in your IV) and they can cause the UTI. So there is no reason for them to continue that I know of. Just get rid of this round and you should be good.

sleevegirl1014
on 11/5/13 2:57 am - Fremont, CA

Thanks everyone!

I saw my PCP and I do have a UTI :( He says the cause of any UTI cannot be known exactly. He has prescribed some antibiotics and I should be fine in 2 - 3 days.

Also, I am 3 weeks out, and havent lost a thing since 2 weeks :( I was 246 lbs on the day of surgery and 242 now, have been this way since 2 weeks :( I am just freaking out... :( 

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/5/13 5:37 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I had one, and my only symptoms were dizziness and not being able to string a thought or sentence together. My sister nagged me to see my GP and the problem was a combination of a UTI and me not needing my BP meds anymore. Stopped those and a few days on an antibiotic and life was good. (Eat your yogurt)

My theory is that my not drinking nearly enough was a big part of getting the UTI.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active