Second thoughts on having Sleeve vs Bypass!!! HELP!

StephanieJ
on 11/5/13 2:50 am

Hi Everyone!

This past weekend we had a gathering where a few of the people there had the bypass atleadt 1 year ago. So I felt comfortable to tell them that in 2 WEEKS(!!!) I'm going to be sleeved, but rather than being supportive they all questioned my decision not to get the bypass.

For me the bypass just seemed more than what I wanted to have done to my body, plus with the sleeve and bypass overall weight loss being very similar, I didnt feel the need to put my body in more danger with the bypass vs. the sleeve, therefore I chose the sleeve (which my DR agreed with!).

Now, I'm all types of confused wondering if I'll lose enough, if I made the right choice, or am I just letting them get to me?

HAS ANYONE ELSE FELT THIS CONFUSION OF WHICH SURGERY TO HAVE?

I'm 2 weeks out from being sleeved, so I'm down to wire and must be 100% with my surgery choice...ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Thanks

Stephanie 

Surgery Date: 11/20

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

Tracy D.
on 11/5/13 2:58 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My advice:  don't let other people mess with your head and dictate what you do with your body and life.  That includes all of us on this board.   You've weighed all your options and made an educated decision along with your doctor that you are comfortable with.   Everyone else can just go jump off a cliff. 

It's YOUR decision and YOUR life...you have to live with it and manage it every single day for the rest of your life. 

Best of luck on whichever surgery you decide is best for you!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

StephanieJ
on 11/5/13 3:04 am

Thanks Tracy, you're right. With all the nerves of having the surgery and also being nervous about losing all the weight I would like has definitely made me question and doubtful. 

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

StephanieJ
on 11/5/13 3:05 am

Thanks Tracy, you're right. With all the nerves of having the surgery and also being nervous about losing all the weight I would like has definitely made me question and doubtful. 

G5x5
on 11/5/13 3:14 am - VA

Same advice as above, plus...

The bypass significantly reroutes your plumbing and causes your stomach to atrophy.  None of that sounded like something I wanted.  I work with someone who had the bypass ten years ago and the results aren't what you'd like.  Also, there seem to be more complications and side effects from the bypass.  It doesn't mean it won't work for most people, but the risks seem slightly higher.

Conversely, the sleeve only alters the process by restriction without the crazy rewiring.

By comparison, the "statistics" say people loose 70% of their excess weight via the sleeve and 80% via the bypass.  I don't see where the possibility of the 10% edge is worth the potential complications and unhappiness of a bypass that doesn't go well.  And if the statistics really held true, I stopped loosing weight like 12 pounds ago.

Nope.  For my money (and body) the risk/reward ratio on the sleeve outweighs anything.  I think your bypass friends are perhaps a little prejudice and/or jealous of the new kid on the block that is doing so much better.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

StephanieJ
on 11/5/13 3:29 am

That's exactly why I had the second thoughts about doing the bypass with the additional risk and complications involved the additional 10% weight loss didn't seem worth it. I'm glad to know other people feel the same way as I do. Just motivation to prove everyone that sleevers can lose as much weight as the bypassers! 

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

bostonbabe369
on 11/5/13 3:27 am - Stoughton, MA
Hi Stephanie!
I am also confused on which procedure to have. I am scheduled to be sleeved on November 13th. I originally wanted to go with the bypass, but I have degenerative joint and disc disease. I also have asthma. My surgeon told me with the bypass I would be unable to take any anti-inflammatory meds. I def need my meds. So he decided that the sleeve would be my best option.

Like you I am being told by former bypass patients not to go with the sleeve. Why? You won't lose weight as fast. So what! I don't want to possibly dump or have ulcers. I also want to keep my original plumbing thank you very much! I have been reading the bypass and the vsg forums. Both procedures have pros and cons, success and failures and different opinions. Do what is right for you. This is your journey not theirs!
What really helped me decide to go with the sleeve was something my surgeon told me. He said, "If you were my family member, I would perform the sleeve on you!". What he said to me made a great impact on my decision. He mostly performs bypasses. He is looking out for my best interest. Good luck on your final decision!
StephanieJ
on 11/5/13 3:32 am

Congrats on you impending surgery date!! I also have bad asthma and was concerned about taking my meds. I think that not losing the weight as fast may actually a PRO, less likely to have so much sagging skin, even though I'm sure being sleeved you will have sagging skin. I'm so focused on my end result and just want to get there as safely and healthy as possible.

Thanks for all the words of advise and encouragement! 

bostonbabe369
on 11/5/13 4:11 am - Stoughton, MA
I am not worried about sagging skin. I think I have pretty good elasticity. Actually, I think I am a lightweight. According to the scale I am overweight, but I carry my weight well. It's all in my hips, thighs and butt. My waist and breast are not that big. When I've lost weight in the past everything seems to balance itself out and fall into place. Plus I presently have a very physical job. There is a lot of muscle underneath this fat. I just need to get it together. People look at me and wonder why I am having surgery. I guess I wear my weight well plus I hide it with clothes. I just want to be healthy. I am not doing this for vanity.
mickeymantle
on 11/5/13 3:31 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

seems yt me a lot of people at my support group that had the rny are always getting sick , they can't eat this , or that if they don't chew enough , also there are a lot more problems taking meds with the rny and ds

I can eat small amounts of anything but fatty meat ,they always made me sick before surgery also , I we should not eat it anyway

my surgeon just oked nsaids for me and caffeine, I love iced tea , but im sticking to decaf coffee even though regular does not bother me 

lots of people wonder if they had the right surgery , they all work if you follow your plan but the vsg has the least problems of all the surgeries

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views