Confused! Need some info!

Imakitekat
on 11/8/13 7:37 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Hey Everyone,

My fiancé is having sleeve surgery Monday.  He normally takes naproxen because he has a lot of back issues and chronic pain.  He thought he would be able to continue to take it after surgery, his doctor, which was also my doctor, told us that NSAIDs  could cause ulcers so not to take them.  I have read so many differing opinions on the board, I was just wondering what is the answer? People have said they choose VSG over the RNY so they can still takes NSAIDs?  Does that mean taking them occasionally vs everyday?  We will double check with our doc but would like advice please! Thanks!

Smiles:),

Lisa

Nancybefree
on 11/8/13 7:45 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

I agree that there is a wide variety of opinions on NSAIDs reported for different surgeons. 

In my plan we are allowed LOW doses of NSAIDs.  If they are to be taken long-term or daily, then we patients are directed to take something like Prevacid daily.

That's just my plan. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Nmmsg
on 11/8/13 8:01 pm
VSG on 07/09/13
My doctor said I could take Nsaids after the VSG. However, I am pretty sure he did not mean right away. With the rapid weight loss I felt improved health almost immediately. I have had no need. With 50 lbs off in 4 months my feet are happy. I had had multiple foot surgeries and have no problems right now.

You need to verify this with your doctor. You also need a plan on what to do in the meantime. Good luck.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

princesswimmer24
on 11/8/13 8:48 pm - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

I take NSAIDs and haven't had a problem. My surgeon made me weight about 6wks before starting them again. I take them daily. He basically said that if I didn't have a problem prior to surgery, than I most likely wouldn't have a problem postop and I haven't. He only wants me to take them if I have to have them of course. Hopefully after your hubby loses some of the excess weight, he won't need them. I was taking them for my knees and after losing 50lbs I didn't need it for me knees anymore. I am taking them now for a muscular issues in my shoulder and no issues. Just talk to his surgeon and see what his opinion is and what experience his patients have had.

LosingSarah
on 11/8/13 9:27 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

My doctor allows occasional NSAID use. I don't use it regularly, but usually only when I have cramps with my period and not even  every month.

Talk to your doctor, though. They all have different rules.

PsychoWriter
on 11/8/13 10:21 pm - St Petersburg, FL
I still take NSAID's, among other things, in a daily basis. It's not an issue for me and frankly i don't have a choice. I have two herniated disks, one slipped disk and a protrusion of my s1 with pinched nerves down both legs (sciatica) caused by a motor bike accident years ago. You have to do what you have to do.
meljac22
on 11/8/13 10:46 pm - NE
VSG on 10/09/12

I used to take NSAIDS also until I got sleeved and then my Dr. said no NSAIDS so they put me on Tramadol for my back and knee pain.. See if his Dr. will put him on that.. My Dr. has no problem with Tramadol at all.. It is perscription though.

katym
on 11/9/13 3:23 am - PA

hi Lisa,

This is one of those situations where everyone is different.

I have taken Naproxen daily for the last 15 years, 13 years before my VSG and now almost 2 years after surgery. My surgeon did ask me to stop taking it for about 1 week prior and 2 weeks after surgery. During that time I had a prescription for tramadol, but it was a relief when he said I could go back to Naproxen.

I have not had any problems. My surgeon did suggest that I always take it with food (like a spoonful of Greek yogurt) to coat my new stomach. As I have lost weight my joint pain has started to decrease so I have been able to reduce my dosage. 

all the best to you both,

Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

bobrfish
on 11/9/13 3:49 am - MN

Long and short term NSAID (naproxen is one) use for anyone may lead to gastric and duodenal ulcers.  The second most common toxic reaction is kidney toxicity.  Use of medications like Prilosec and Previcid can prevent both gastric and duodenal ulcers.  Use of medications like Zantac, Tagamet etc when taken at twice the dose advised on package can also prevent gastric and duodenal ulcers.

Each group Prilosec like and Zantac like also have potential adverse effects also.  The answer is risk vs benefit and it is up to a patient's medical doctor to determine the ratio of risk to benefit.  Over time the risk to benefit ratio can change and therefore a patient needs to see their medical doctor on a regular basis as determined by MD.

It the USA over 16,000 people die each year as result of NSAID induced bleeding, perforation and other events.  About 1-2% of NSAID users develop stomach related toxicity.  Those with NSAID related toxicity of small intestine is not truly known as the symptoms related to small intestine problems maybe caused by other issues than NSAID use.

It would be correct to request an MD to weigh risk benefit ratio with chronic NSAID use along with concomitant use of either Prilosec or Zantac use.  It also would not be wrong to request both bariatric medicine MD and/or internal medicine/family medicine/primary care provider to evaluate risk benefit ratio.

If chronic back pain is intolerable and NSAIDS are not an option, tramadol is one possible choice.  Another option maybe lidocaine patches applied to area.  Always the last option is opiods.  IMO, opiods are a poor choice.  Over time physical and psychological dependence will occur in 100% of chronic opiod users.  In an unknown percentage of users addiction will occur.

Imakitekat
on 11/9/13 9:30 am - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Thanks everyone for all your responses!  We will check with our doctor on Monday and see what he suggests.  I appreciate all your responses.  I take tramadol too and it works great, didn't think about him for that!  We will ask!

appreciate you all!

Smiles:),

Lisa

Most Active