revision due to acid reflux??

ramwelch
on 11/12/13 8:43 am - somewhere, CT

Hi All.

Its been a long time since I have posted here and hope i'm in the right spot. My wife and I both had a sleeve in 2007 and all went great, however she is in the 10% that develop worse reflux after a sleeve instead of it getting better. We just had a consult today with a surgeon that claims revising her sleeve to a bypass will solve this problem. Anybody have any experience that may help here? We are real nervous about this one whereas we were not concerned about getting the sleeve.

acbbrown
on 11/12/13 8:58 am - Granada Hills, CA

Revising to a RNY is supposed to take care of the reflux issue. I have delt with this and my surgeon has tried to talk me into the revision. Ive decided i will deal with it until and unless it starts any kind of erosions in my stomach/esophagus because the risks of the RNY and the consequences (No nsaids, no pyloric vlave, ulcers, bowel obstructions, etc) are not worth it to me. I hate the acid but I hate the possible consequences of a RNY more. But I do have a bottom line of how much I will deal with. I had a client that developed a severe case of esophogeal erosion and i swore Id never let that happen to me lol.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ramwelch
on 11/12/13 11:53 am - somewhere, CT

thanks for the input. She has been dealing with the reflux getting worse every year, been 5 years now an it is cusing alot of problems so I guess its the best option at this point. I agree with you on the side effects though, they were instrumental in choosing the sleeve to begin with so it kind of sux. ty again and good luck

ThinLizzy
on 11/12/13 12:05 pm - Benicia, CA

Has your wife had an upper GI to check for a hiatal hernia? Most surgeons fix them at the time of surgery but they definitely DO occur post surgery as well. I had a very large post-VSG hiatal hernia surgically repaired a year or so ago. My acid has not completely disappeared but it is much improved. My doctor also suggested revision to RnY as a possibility but because there was a mechanical reason for the acid, we went that route...

Lizanne

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

pineview01
on 11/12/13 2:40 pm - Davison, MI

This would be the first step I would take too is to make sure a HH isn't causing the problem.  Is she on PPIs?  This may sound strange but, based on research posted on this site I went from 2 a day to one ppi.  I thought I was going to die the first month but after that better.  I went thru the same getting off the second once again it got lots worse before it got better.  I never had acid reflux until I was banded.  It went away after banding but they put us on 2 a day with the sleeve right out of surgery.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Nmmsg
on 11/12/13 7:40 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

Both my husband & son had Rny's.  They have been out over 10 years.  They are healthy.  I don't know about reflux but I guess I am trying to say do not be afraid if it is the solution to the problem.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Diana M.
on 11/12/13 11:47 pm - TX
VSG on 07/12/12

I developed severe reflux after my sleeve, and had to be revised to RNY  (there wasn't much of an option to just deal with it, since I started aspirating everything I ate or drank).

I've had no problems since my RNY, fortunately.  It was an easier recovery because of the weight I had already lost, and I've not had any trouble adjusting to the vitamins and slightly different eating habits.  

I'm happy to talk to you or your wife any time.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views