Maybe its good, maybe its bad, but thank the lord for my sleeve

SassyItalian
on 11/13/13 2:52 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

Hey guys,

Some of you know me, I have been on this forum for over 3 years, since a few months before my VSG. Everything has gone well since my surgery, I have maintained at 138-140 pounds pretty much since I hit goal about 9 months post op (Starting weight, 258).

I try and use my sleeve wisely, be active, eat appropriately. But I do have to say, even though I tried to change my habits pre and post op, I know food was always my crutch.

Maybe its not a good thing, or maybe its exactly what I needed, but I can tell you I am under and enormous amount of stress. I am entering finals crunch time, of the end of my second year of vet school. On top of that, I founded an animal rescue here in the Caribbean, called SAFE, St. Kitts  (safest.kitts.org). Between the ridiculous amount of school work, constant rescue of injured animals, 2-3 hour bottle feedings, I am SWAMPED. I thank god for my TOOL, my sleeve, for helping me through these rough times. Before, I would be elbows deep in a gallon of ice cream. Now, those kinds of foods do not have the same appeal. I worry what would have happened, had I been under this stress, binging to relieve it, at my previous weight. I totally believe I could be approaching a much higher weight, a more dangerous BMI.

So again, maybe the sleeve is my crutch, maybe its not, maybe its the tool that keeps me in line. Maybe I should feel guilty for relying on it, or maybe I should feel thankful for making the choice. Either way, I was just thanking my lucky stars I am not going towards those same habits, under all this stress and I wanted to share.

End Confession

Sassy

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

danixbanani
on 11/13/13 2:56 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Good for you, sassy!  Using the tool to best fit YOUR lifestyle is what it's all about IMO. 

And seriously big HUGS and KUDOS for rescuing innocent animals that need it.  Brava!! 

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Sandy M.
on 11/13/13 3:40 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

With your love for animals, you are near and dear to my heart!  Keep up the great work!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Mrs_Desire _
on 11/13/13 3:49 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

That is awesome that you are taking care of the lil ones that can help themselves. angry

Congrats on your weight loss too!!!! WOW...

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

sleonar1
on 11/13/13 4:33 am

Hi Sassy,

You are an inspiration! I am getting my sleeve done on Monday the 18th....only a few more days. I love to hear the success stories, I have had a lot of illness caused by my weight and i am looking forward to a new and healthy life! Sounds like you have done great since your surgery, I can only hope to follow the same path :-)  Thanks for sharing.

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/13 4:49 am

Nothing to feel guilty about, IMO. Seriously, you could still down a quart of ice cream, if that's what you wanted. I've had ice cream and frozen yogurt and it does not produce restriction one little bit! So, my vote is in favor of the fact that you have really changed your behaviors! You are a VSG rock star!

linzeelee
on 11/13/13 4:56 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

No guilt! Your sleeve is an amazing tool, but you have to give yourself a lot of the credit here. Also, thank you for helping the animals. How amazing!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

frisco
on 11/13/13 4:56 am, edited 11/13/13 4:58 am

Hey Sassy.....

I'd go with "I should feel thankful for making the choice"

I've been fortunate to see your whole WL journey as well as witness your personal growth.......

I looked at your "SAFE" website and the FB page....... 

I'm proud of you on many levels.........

frisco

*** Dr. Cirangle is active with and supports an organization here called "Muttsville"

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

debk21
on 11/13/13 9:05 am - Mansfield, TX

You are & always have been a superstar to me. Great post and keep up the wonderful work you're doing. Good to hear from you!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/13 11:58 am

I missed you.  So glad all is going well and it sounds like you are using your sleeve exactly the way it was meant to be used. It's your powerful tool and not a crutch.  We couldn't do this without it, that's why we got it in the first place.  :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 36 views