1 Pound From Goal - Sort Of

Vanessa_M
on 11/13/13 8:48 am

After reading my post, I realized that this rambles a bit.

When I met with my surgeon, we discussed an ideal weight for me.  I picked the weight I looked / felt the best as an adult. This weight still put me in the overweight range but from what I remembered, I looked and felt pretty good about it.  In addition, they also said that some women tend to want to keep their curves and don't want to get into the normal range on the BMI chart and that maybe I was one of them.  My doctor said to expect to lose about 60% of my excess weight.  I wasn't happy with that number (I initially wanted RNY but couldn't do it due to a mal-rotation of my intestines).  

Well here I am a little over six months later and I am 1 pound from my goal.  I feel great, I'm doing things that I never thought I'd be able to do (registered for two 5k's last night).  So many things in my life are going right and I think a lot of it has to do with my new outlook on life.  So while my ticker says that I am one pound away from goal, I think that I'm going to drop my goal by about 15 more pounds.  Not only do I want to REACH onederland, I want to LIVE there.  I know that I am about to be in for a dogfight with these last few pounds, but I'm ready to do it.  I still have great restriction and when my brain tells my stomach that it can eat certain things, by stomach very kindly puts the excess back in the sink or makes me wish that I could go back in time and not eat it (imagine having the foamies while trying to present a lesson on being a highly effective teenager).

Anyway, what I've realized from this forum is that whatever happens with my weight loss, my maintenance, my regain, whatever, is truly in my control.  Everything that I put in my mouth is a choice and there is no excuse for unconscious eating.  If it doesn't help my body, I shouldn't be eating it.  I can't say that I'm perfect with my eating.  Sometimes I change the final C from commitment to complacency but with the help from this board, I know how to get back on track.  

Soooooo, onederland HERE I COME!!!! 

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Dr. Rohit Patel, Cooper University Hospital 

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/13 9:42 am
Excellent! Go get your dream.
Vanessa_M
on 11/13/13 10:17 am

Thanks, Elina!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Dr. Rohit Patel, Cooper University Hospital 

tdaquin
on 11/13/13 7:43 pm - LA
VSG on 11/05/12

I think everyone's goal are a moving target. When I started I would have never thought i would have gotten down to 150#, It is how you feel when you get there that changes it. Some of it fear of not stopping the losing(so you don't gain). I have settled on a weight that feels right with me. Everyone agrees they thought I was too skinny(still feels weird).

teachren
on 11/13/13 8:27 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/13/13 with

I say your goal is yours...own it. You decide what your destiny can be.

It's funny after six months on here I always hear about goal weight. I never had a discussion with my surgeon about it. He talked about losing a range of the percentage of excess weight I had but we didn't set any magical numbers.

I'm down 104 pounds in 6 months...but still weigh 202 pounds. I would like to see 180 and then re-evaluate what I look like and feel like. Then I'll decide if I want to keep going but not to fit the again "magical" number of a BMI chart. I'm doing this for me and what I feel like.

Good luck...I say...go for it! :-)

grayC
on 11/13/13 8:54 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

My Dr must be the exception b/c he never put a % on what I could lose only positive reinforcement that I will get

to a weight that I was happy with and that's all I needed...my NUT gave me a range only after I asked, months into the process..an I met and exceeded w/o a problem (148-158)

I think you could get well below 200 w/o a problem so why not go for it!!

you'll know when you reach the "sweet spot" my feelings are as long as your still dropping at a steady pace,

your  body WANTS to be smaller...

Most Active