SOUND OFF - How Long Did It Take To Heal From VSG/Hiatal Hernia Surgery

hope123
on 11/15/13 11:54 am, edited 11/15/13 3:48 pm - MO

Shout out to everyone who has had (and has healed from) the VSG and Hiatal Hernia surgery.  How long did it take for you to heal from both of these procedures, wherein you could eat something without pain and immediate fullness?  It will be interesting to see if there's any consistency, or if it's all over the board.  (Just an FYI since people usually ask, I am on Prilosec).

Thanks!

frisco
on 11/15/13 12:19 pm, edited 11/15/13 12:19 pm

If your on a wise post VSG eating plan that promotes healing and taking it slow....... you never even know you had a HH repair......

I woke up finding out I had HH repair.... I never felt it........ and by the time I was on solids it was never an issue.

You should not be putting any pressure on that area until you start on solid foods. ****Learn up on the function of the Pyloric Valve.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4508494/Frisco-Pyloric -Valve-Basics-101-re-post/

Soft solids start at about 4 weeks out on a sensible plan. Healing has taken pretty well at that point, not completely...... but your pretty far along at that point.

Bottom line..... for most.... a non issue.

Aggressive treatment of HH is very beneficial  to a properly functioning VSG.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

hope123
on 11/15/13 3:38 pm - MO

The degree of repair is different for everyone though, because according to the food plan I was given, I'm supposed to be on soft solid foods by now.  I've tried briefly and it was like hitting a brick wall, so I returned to the liquid diet.  I can only eat about 4 tiny bites (total) of extremely smooth (no chunks, not too thick) yogurt, and that's all I can take.  I still have absolutely no appetite either, moreso brain hunger once in a while then anything, like if I see something on tv that looks good, but I'm not even hungry.  Thanks

getitgirl
on 11/15/13 12:20 pm

I had both as well, I never had pain eating but did get full quickly like 1 maybe 2 teaspoons.  I'm in week three. 

hope123
on 11/15/13 3:43 pm - MO

When I say "pain" - I don't mean like a horrible pain, but it's uncomfortable.  When I swallow when it hits the area where the esophagus meets the stomach it's like it's held up there, and it gives me a twinge of pain, not anything I can't handle, but it's definitely uncomfortable.  I don't know if that makes sense, but I don't know how else to explain it.  It used to do that to me even when I took a thimble full drink of water, but thankfully it doesn't do that with fluids anymore...just any type of soft food now.

TexasTerritory
on 11/15/13 3:21 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I had both procedures and my healing was quick without incident. I was able to eat solids according to the timeline prescribed by my surgeon. The hernia repair was such a blessing that I didn't experience any problems. The surgeon even removed a cyst from my liver.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/15/13 4:02 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I had both also. Couldn't really tell. I had really no recovery issues at all and was able to eat and drink according to my plan with no problems.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

happyteacher
on 11/15/13 8:49 pm

My repair bothered me far worse than the actual stomach surgery.  I had a very easy recovery overall though.  The first two weeks it was the most pronounced, but I distinctly remember at my day 10 a follow-up appointment with a nurse.  I was feeling pretty good and asked if I could do the elliptical, and I was cleared.  I lasted maybe a minute and the HH was incredibly sore incredibly fast.  It took a few days for that to calm down.  Then, I tried to go for a walk outside on a particularly cold day- same thing.  I made it maybe a minute and it was really problematic.  It again took a few days to calm down from that.  Consequently, had I not aggravated it maybe 2 weeks.  Clearly it needed time to heal though.  I did not have issues when eating, but I did follow the full liquid phase carefully, then smushed phase, etc.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Ihearttennis
on 11/15/13 11:00 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I had both and couldn't really tell.  I could follow my doctor's eating plan without any problems.  I was back to work in a week and back to playing tennis at two weeks.  I look back and think that maybe that was kinda rushing it, but my doctor said to listen to my body.  If I felt good doing it then it was ok.  Good luck to you.

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

jubigirl
on 11/16/13 1:12 am
VSG on 08/26/13

I had the same surgeon as Tennis.. LOL I had VSG, Hiatal hernia repair, and gallbladder removed.  The only thing I noticed about the hernia repair was that I no longer felt acid in my esophagus.  As far as the full feeling, depending upon how far out you are, that is pretty much the norm.  A bite or two and you are stuffed.

Good luck!

Kelli

Most Active