I threw-up bright yellow fluid twice this week

hope123
on 11/26/13 8:47 am - MO

Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be disgusting, but within the last week I've thrown up bright yellow fluid twice.  I'm 5 weeks post-op from the VSG and hiatal hernia surgery, then two weeks later I had to have my gallbladder removed.  I haven't had any soft-solid or solid foods today at all.  All I've had was a protein drink and water.  Did anyone else have this happen, and do you know what it was from?  I have a two-week follow-up appointment with my doctor tomorrow from my my gallbladder removal surgery. Of course I'll bring this up to them, but it would be interesting to know if this has happened to anyone else, and if you found out what it was from.  Thank you.

hollykim
on 11/26/13 10:27 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

sounds like stomach /acid because our sleeve has been empty all day. Why did you not have anything more than a protein shake? That is not enough to eat.

hope123
on 11/26/13 12:47 pm - MO

I still have a hard time getting anything down.  I cannot stand all of the protein shakes, no matter which ones I've tried.  They make me want to throw-up.  When I finish one, I simply can't drink anything else (and I'm not drinking them too fast, it takes me a long time to fini****).  I still can't handle soft solids yet, I've tried, so my doctor's office said to go back to liquids.

hollykim
on 11/26/13 11:46 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

stomach acid can also be yellow or green so. You probably have a combination going on. If you can drink another protein shake later try plain milk,broth,jello,etc. you can surely get down a spoon full every 30 min,do you think?

if you can't begin to get liquids down,you will. Need to call your surgeon and tell him,or go to. The er for iv fluids. Dehydration. Is nothing to play around with,it can be deadly.

mkvand
on 11/26/13 10:35 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Bile can be yellow or green, so you might be throwing up bile. Your gallbladder normally stores bile until you need it.  When they take out your gallbladder, they hook the bile duct directly to the stomach, so you have a constant stream of bile going to your stomach regardless of what you eat. 

hope123
on 11/26/13 12:49 pm - MO

That makes sense Mkvand.  I guess I had too much bile built up.

smittyjen
on 11/26/13 11:56 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

I use to have horrible reflux and whenever I threw up from it, it was yellow...my guess is stomach acid 

ck9779
on 11/27/13 1:03 am
VSG on 12/11/13

My first thought is bile and/or vitamins

hope123
on 11/27/13 7:28 am - MO

Well here's the scoop.  I already had a follow-up doctor's appointment today with my surgeon (to follow-up on my gallbladder removal surgery two weeks ago).  They said it's not normal for me not to be able to eat anything at 5 weeks post-op for the sleeve, and ordered me to go to the hospital for an EGD, thinking it may be a stricture.  Thankfully, I found out it is (not) a stricture, but my liver is highly over-producing bile/acid, which is why I haven't been able to eat.  I'm still a little confused as to why I can't eat because of bile/acid (since it felt like everything was getting stuck and not moving through), but that's what I was told.  I was given a prescription to hopefully help with this situation, and I PRAY this will work, because I'm so tired of these problems, and I just want to move on.

Thanks for listening guys!  :-)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views