Epiphany , who knew?

Imakitekat
on 11/27/13 3:01 pm, edited 11/27/13 3:04 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Well, on the eve of this Thanksgiving a few things have came to mind I thought I would share......I read a post Devon wrote last night about being tired and how that could make him eat more or not healthy food just because his defenses were down ( if your reading this Devon, I am just paraphrasing, no offense intended). It really made me start thinking about how I have felt being overweight so many years. Suffice it to say being overweight all of junior high and high school made me tired, but as the years went by, becoming obese made me catatonic.  After shopping at the grocery store before my surgery and now realizing how much candy, cake, pop, and carbs I put in my basket , not  to mention getting a large mocha frappe from mcdonalds almost every day, sometimes two, sometimes even three, I am realizing now and also feeling, let me say that again, FEELING, that I am starting to come out of this sugar coma I have entrapped my body, mind and soul in for the last twenty + years.  I was so busy not thinking about eating I completely desensitized myself from my life. This has really been an epiphany for me because I didn't understand how deep these feeling for food are rooted inside me.  Since my surgery I have spent a lot of time thinking about what I am eating, making a real effort to pick the right foods at the store, figure out my meals, measure my water intake and listen to my body tell me when it has had enough.  Don't get me wrong, I am not perfect and I make mistakes, but with the surgery I can bounce back from them, I don't wallow in negative emotions.  I know there will be stalls, but I am starting to understand that I am now guiding my own course in my life.  There are many things in my life out of my control, but food is no longer one of those things,  I play a huge role in my weight loss, I can choose to take things slow or speed things up and with the knowledge I learn on this site and by reading a lot, I have learned the most optimum times to do that!  I don't know if I will do it all at the right times but I know now I am confident that I WILL get to my goal and I want to do it in 6 months, but I will be at goal by my surgiversery!  So today I want to tell you all how thankful I am for obesity help and the people who give their time and advice so freely; including, Devon, Frisco, Ravenbrown, Carol and Elina to name a few.  I weighed in at the doctors today 73 pounds down in only 2 months, I am 16 pounds away from my halfway mark and 10 pounds away from my doctors first goal.!! I'm so ecstatic, yay me! The one thing I will advise anyone in this journey is to never stop feeling, never stop thinking about what you are eating and why. Express and feel all your emotions and learn how to do it in a healthy way, get rid of all your baggage and be happy.  I think that may be how a lot of us lose control, instead of feelings in, heartache, grief and sadness we try to fill those holes with food that comforts us. I know dealing with things head on is not easy and I mean no disrespect by saying get rid of the baggage, what I mean simply is everyone of us deserves to be happy and none of us deserve a life where we have have things constantly hanging over our heads.......that being said I wish all of you the happiest of Thanksgivings!

love, hugs and smiles:),

Lisa

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/13 3:29 pm

Lisa,

I'm glad you're doing so well and I'm glad my post helped you start thinking about your journey! Realizing who we are in relationship to food and our past experiences with food is very powerful. When you acknowledge the habits that got you to obese you are able to begin to work on changing them. This thinking and realization you have come to is monumental. Stick with it, but remember this is a journey with bumps and dips and hills to climb along the way. The work can get hard sometimes, but it's so worth it.

Congrats on your progress and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

frisco
on 11/27/13 5:42 pm

Do it !!!!

2 months is right about when things start coming together...... healed and you start digging in with your feet firmly under you........

Making the most of this time can pay off when trying to lose the last weight.......

Many people who fall 10-15lbs. short wish they had made better use of this time.....

Great post......stay the course.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

cappy11448
on 11/27/13 6:36 pm

Hi Lisa,

What a lovely, thoughtful message.  Thank you for your wisdom, and kindness.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active