could it not work?

allaboutaleah
on 12/4/13 2:34 am, edited 12/4/13 2:51 am - CA
VSG on 11/15/13 with

I had my surgery 19 days ago. I lost 10 lbs in the first week & have not lost a single pound since. I actually gained a pound. I walk 1-2 miles every other day at the least. I'm starting to get discouraged, thinking it may not work for me. Is it possible for the surgery to not produce weight loss? Has this happen to anyone?

mickeymantle
on 12/4/13 2:48 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

It will work give it time , your body is adjusting, and you are probably    not eating any solid food yet

are you drinking 65 oz of water a day , 80 gms of protein

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

G5x5
on 12/4/13 2:48 am - VA

Time to take a deep breath, relax, and realize you're over thinking this.  You will stall periodically, you won't know when, and you won't know for how long.  Remember, think back to before the surgery, and before any pre-surgery diet, and ask yourself one question.  How much weight were you loosing back then?  You've lost 10 pounds and the process is working.  Everyone's results will vary.

I can guarantee you that if you keep the calories in the 600-800 range, do at least some walking, maintain your protein, and keep you water consumption up, you will loose weight.  There is no miracle that maintains your body mass while eating so little, but there can be periodic adjustments.  It's about a 90% probability, or better, that you are loosing body fat but gaining water as an offset.  The other possibility is that your first 15 days were post surgical recovery days and your body wasn't normalized yet.  Now you're 15 days, out and likely switching to soft foods, and away from liquids, and that's impacting the scale numbers.

Stay on track and let the process work, in two months time you'll be saying "yeap, they said this would happen".

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Nikke2003
on 12/4/13 2:55 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Yes, the surgery could absolutely not work - if you are consuming more calories than you need to maintain your weight. But, at 19 days out, I'm going to assume that's not what you're doing... so relax a bit. Unfortunately, you are NOT going to lose weight every single day in this process - you're most likely not going to lose weight every single week either. You will go through "stalls" where you don't lose anything (or possible gain a pound or two).

However, when you are all healed and feeling better... it absolutely will be possible to eat enough high calorie/carb/sugar foods that could stop your weight loss or cause you to gain. So, work your plan, stay on the path, and trust that the stall will break!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Spencerella
on 12/4/13 3:15 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

It is working :). Sometimes the scale doesn't immediately reflect our progress, but it always does so in time. Watch the carb count if you're switching to softs now. The lower the better :)

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

sleonar1
on 12/4/13 3:21 am

Hello, I had my surgery just a few days after you, on the 18th of November and I have only lost 10 pounds total from my weight the day of surgery. I actually gained 7 lbs when I got home from the hospital :-(   I realized that it was just the fluids from the iv's so I guess you could say I lost the 7 gained and another 10, but it is definitely a process. Try to remind yourself that this is the start to a new healthier you! It will all be worth it in the end :-)    Mine is already worth it just because I have been officially taken off of insulin which I had been on for over 6 years! Your doing great..... keep up the good work and hang in there :-)

Shannon

Jackie T.
on 12/4/13 3:36 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Did you take your measurements?  If you have not, stop and take them now.  Were you waling 1 to 2 miles everyday before your surgery?  You are probably building muscle.  Muscle weighs the same as fat but it takes up less room so you are probably losing inches but the scale is not showing it.  This is going to happen periodically.  For me I would have a large loss and then go a week with nothing and then lose again and then nothing.  Do not let the scale dictate your moods or your progress.  Now my scale is going up and down 2-3 lbs a day but I am losing body fat so I still call that a success.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

TexasTerritory
on 12/4/13 4:39 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I am a slow but steady loser. I lose about 10-12 pounds a month. I have learned to accept this process. I am glad that I am losing. Just wanted to share my experience so that you know everyone's process is different. I love the sleeve. Good luck.

AriannaElizabeth
on 12/4/13 8:12 am, edited 12/4/13 8:13 am - Bronx/Island Park, NY
VSG on 10/21/13

HEY! I am 44 days out today kiss and I am in the same boat as you. I lost a whopping 25 lbs since surgery and 41 since my pre-op 2 week liquid diet. I have been on a stall since day 16!! I am losing inches though. when I started mushies I gained 5 lbs and it felt like the world was ending (yes im pretty dramatic). I JUST finally lost those 5 lbs and am stalled again now that Im on solids! UGH!! but I cant imagine i went from a xxl in pants to a L in just a few weeks. even though the scale isnt moving the inches are coming off. you need some time to adjust to the rapid loss. my surgeon said this was all perfectly normal and he told me to throw my scale away!! lmao! he said the scale is your worst enemy right now because your fixated on that number moving and if it doesn't your depressed about it! which is totally true!!. so I understand completely! it will move one day just do what your doing and ALL the best of LUCK!!

busboss1
on 12/4/13 8:30 am
VSG on 12/18/12

10 pounds in 19 days isn't bad. Don't weigh yourself everyday. Force yourself to weigh once a week and take your measurements so the next time you stall, you can measure your success in a different way. I thought the same thing, I would be the one who didn't lose weight. Guess what? I was wrong. I am now trying to lose the last little bit. It's hard but I don't care how long it takes, I will NOT give up. You have to follow your plan to the T and don't vary from it. Drink the fluids, get in the protein and don't eat added carbs. I was not supposed to eat more than 30 carbs a day. I'm going back to basics to get rid of my final few pounds and it's working. Keep the faith. You'll do great! This is a lifetime change, not a race! :)

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views