Having trouble eating real food again....

Lanibug
on 12/19/13 5:09 am

Hi Everybody,

I had a vertical sleeve surgery about two weeks ago.  I have been on the full/clear liquid diet and very much looking forward to the green light to eat real food...until now.

Since I was a little kid, I despised vomiting and would go through all hoops to try to avoid it.   To this day, I get a bit "panicky" if I feel nausea.  I also suffer from an occasional panic attack (in general) which causes nausea.

I have been given the green light to eat "mushed up protein" and taught how to eat slowly and chew my food "to mush" before letting it go down.   My first three attempts have been so hard.

First of all, I have a hard time figuring out if a piece of food is "stuck" (which means stop eating, walk around) or if I just feel flem in my throat.  I also cannot tell if I am having stomach nausea from being "full" (though there is almost now way I can be full from the teeny tiny amounts I ate-probably a quarter's size worth in total) or from the food not agreeing with me or....if the nausea is a symptom of panic from doing something I am a bit nervous to do (eat with my new stomach).

By the time the above symptoms occur, I am fully nervous/nauseas and cannot even look at the food.

Up until now, I have tolerated things like pudding, jello, calcium chews, vitamins, etc just fine....

Any advice?  Please tell me I will be able to eat again! 

-Ilana

Sandy M.
on 12/19/13 5:35 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Well, I suspect it's a combination of your fear and perhaps whatever it is that you're attempting to eat (you didn't mention).  Not everyone is ready to eat real food after only 2 weeks.  Give us an idea what you're trying to eat and we might have some suggestions (chicken is very hard for some at first, for example; it has to be very moist.  If you're trying tuna, try it with some mayo to moisten it).

Hang in there - everyone's a little afraid when they first start eating again!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

cappy11448
on 12/19/13 5:38 am

It will get better with time.  I'd suggest just taking it slow.  My capacity was really low - I could only eat about one ounce of food (like one sea scallop) at a meal for the first 7 weeks.  In the 7th week, the swelling in my tummy went down and I could eat 2 ounces.  That was a real turning point for me! hehehe

So I'd say, just give yourself time.  Try a little bit of the solid foods and stop as soon as you feel any discomfort or anxiety.  You'll get to eating solid foods just fine in your own time.  I don't think there is any hurry about it. 

After yogurt, pudding and jello, I found seafood the easiest to eat.  I'd make tuna salad a lot.  I'd make sea scallops - and one would fill me!  Chicken salad took a little longer.  I had to wait on beef and por****il 3 months out per my plan. 

good luck, and try to be gentle with yourself.  This is a hard transition, but you'll get thru it.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Lanibug
on 12/19/13 5:47 am

Thanks for the encouragement everybody. 

I tried eating a moist scrambled egg, chicken with gravy.   The latest thing I just tried was a veggie burger moistened with a bit of v8 juice (instead of ketchup).  I enjoyed that the most but was only able to get 7 tiny bites down before feeling sick.   I guess it will just take time!

min2758
on 12/19/13 6:34 am - Boise, ID

I am 5 weeks out and it**** and miss with chicken.  So far I have only tried beans, ham, lunchmeats, eggs, soup w/out the broth part, LOTS of cheese, steamfresh microwave bagged veggies, frozen salmon, frozen tilapia, stuff like that.  Carrots are another that are hit and miss; they need to be overcooked to the point of soggy, not just soft.  I realize I'm at the point where I could eat more but I'm just sticking with what I know for now.  Nausea isn't worth it.  My doctor's nurse said to try one new thing a day, that way if you have a tough time or feel sick you know what its from.  I have been totally doing that.  I have the rest of my life to work in a variety of food; for now I'm going with what works one day at a time.

When I was at 2 weeks out it felt like food was ALWAYS getting stuck (it wasn't).  I imagined the food was coming to an intersection and was waiting for the green light to go ahead.  lol  Lame, I know.  I don't have that as much anymore at 5 weeks.  Eggs were really tough at 2 weeks and now aren't difficult at all.  You will be able to eat again, it won't last forever! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 31 views