What Gives! Almost 4 weeks out and I stall/weight gain!

StephanieJ
on 12/18/13 10:59 pm

What gives?! I am so annoyed because I am 4 weeks out from having my VSG and I have stopped losing weight and in fact "gained" 5 pounds over the past week! I am super conscious of what I am eating and have also started some at home exercise routines. I am definitely beating myself up for this because this is not what I expected!

Has anyone experienced this also? Why does this happen? What can I do to start losing again?

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

mountainhiker51
on 12/18/13 11:20 pm

You are doing AWESOME!, I lost only 15 lbs in my first month...I was really disapointed, but then I thought about and realized that was still over 3 lbs a week. Plus, my thought is the slower you lose the more time your skin has to tone up along the way. It seems you lost so much this first month that your body needs to stop and check itself...don't be discouraged, I think your doing great! and from what I hear..stalls are all along the way. I only weight myself once a month, I couldn't take the constant flux of a lb here and there...good luck:)

StephanieJ
on 12/18/13 11:28 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! My husband also says I should weigh myself as frequently as I do. I weigh myself daily or every other day. It's quite strange how a month ago I was consumed by what to eat at my next meal and now I am obsessed with the scale and my weight. I guess I just need a breather, but I am hopeful this stall wont last long.

“Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe

katym
on 12/18/13 11:20 pm - PA

hi Stephanie,

Sorry you are feeling frustrated but having a  stall at 3 or 4 weeks out is extremely common. It is as if your body is in shock from the changes you are making and is testing you to see if these are really long term lifestyle changes or just an aberration. Keep persevering with your program and things will eventually go in the right direction.

All the best, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

StephanieJ
on 12/18/13 11:30 pm

Hi Katy,

Thanks for the information. I am trying to really not over exaggerate over this stall, but after years of being overweight, once you see the pounds drop and then suddenly stop, it is definitely a moment of anxiety for me! I will keep on the plan and hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have better news!

Thanks

Stephanie 

Gail D.
on 12/18/13 11:35 pm

Yep, been there... did that... did lose again. :-) I held for nearly 6 weeks, then one day... BOOM... started dropping again. Dropped another 17 pounds... then held for about 2 weeks... then BOOM... started again. It's frustrating, but know it'll pass.

FindingMyWeigh
on 12/19/13 2:24 am, edited 12/19/13 2:24 am
VSG on 10/30/13

There is no way that you ate 17,500 calories to gain 5 lbs. You know this, logically.  It's water weight or you're losing inches while gaining muscle. If it's water, drop your sodium intake down. I utterly loathe sodium free boullion but I resort to it when I know I gained water weight. 

Keep up the good work..you're doing great 

StephanieJ
on 12/19/13 4:32 am

Thank you! I will definitely start paying more attention to my sodium intake.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views