And this is why I had wls

staceyp1105
on 12/22/13 7:44 am - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I am 4 days post op....

yesterday, as my family ate, I missed food a little.

today we are at our best friends house to watch football.  (Husband wanted me to get out of the house)

well that turned into dinner...I brought my chicken broth, and protein drink and water but the rest are eating brought in pizza and pasta.  If not for the wls I would be chowing down on it instead of posting here.  Proof that I needed this surgery.  If I was dieting "as usual"....I would definitely be eating pizza right now.

But as I sit on my own (by choice) I find I am fighting back tears.  Guess that would be confirmation of the need to change my relationship with food.

I know it will get easier, especially as I can add more food, since I am still on chicken broth and protein shakes

FindingMyWeigh
on 12/22/13 8:08 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Did your surgeon and his team not discuss the fact that you will also be having hormonal upheaval after the surgery?  Also, you just had surgery. You are healing, probably have some pain killers still floating around and that can make you emotional, too.

I'm sure your  husband meant well but you just had MAJOR SURGERY 4 days ago. You need to be resting and healing. Set some boundaries about what you can and cannot handle during your recovery. 

laviecharmee
on 12/22/13 8:11 am - CA
VSG on 12/16/13

I wish I had some sage words of advice but all I can give you is my sympathy. I had surgery on Monday (12/16) and am also on the protein shake phase. I am dreading Christmas as this usually means breakfast at my moms and breakfast food is generally my favorite but I made my decision to have surgery when I did knowing full well that I will have to enjoy the company and not the food. (I will be dining on cream of wheat) 

I wish you the best and it will get easier. Maybe by Super Bowl you can eat the toppings off a piece of pizza and feel completed satisfied :)

~ Kim     Never take away someone's hope, it may be all they have left

(DEC  -19)  (JAN  -16.4)  (FEB  -9.2)  (MAR -13.5)  (APR -4.8)  (MAY -4.6)  (JUN -8)

staceyp1105
on 12/22/13 9:04 am - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

If anything, this just proved why I needed this surgery.  If I had been just dieting...I would have eaten pizza without a doubt.  I would have cheated and right about now I would be feeling guilty and hopeless.  Instead, I made it through and can continue to look forward to the weight loss ahead.

i hear ya on the breakfast foods...probably my favorite too.just finished saying we need to get cinnamon rolls for the kids.  We always have them Christmas morning.  They are making changes too and were trying to respect me, but they shouldn't have to give up that holiday treat/tradition.    I go to the dr tomorrow and my 1 week post op class to add soft foods.  Maybe by Christmas, I'll be able to have egg whites (which I actually happen to like) or at least cottage cheese.yogurt.

my husband just wanted me to be around others so I don't go into a funk.  They live close by (less than a mile) and hanging out there is like hanging out at home.  I get your point  about too much after surgery but this was probably a needed step in the process.  I made the decision to change my eating so I can't bow out socially as a result.

i appreciate everyone's comments.  Sometimes knowing I'm not the only one is help enough...

stacie914
on 12/22/13 9:38 am

I completely understand your feelings.  I was at my mother's home and everyone was eating and making fudge and I was sipping on water and trying to get down broth (sleeved 12/18).  Although it is hard, you have to fight to stay social.  I had a friend who had RNY and she stopped socializing with everyone when food was around.  Avoiding temptation will not cure your relationship with food.  If we could have avoided food, we would not have been in this situation. The fact that you were able to go and be around the food is a huge step and one that may get harder before it gets easier.  I have found that it is not fair for my family to change the way they live because I could not limit myself for years.  I also do not want them to tip toe around me and not eat or invite me places where food will be present.  If you start isolating yourself now, they will start isolating you later as you turn down more and more invites.  Good luck and keep your eye on the prize!

HW: 369.8  SW: 338.6

staceyp1105
on 12/22/13 1:58 pm - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Thank you.  And totally agree

childof60s
on 12/22/13 12:07 pm
VSG on 12/17/13

We are champs, those of us who have been sleeved recently!  This is NOT easy any time of the year, but we should give each other a big round of applause for moving forward and not waiting it out and possibly putting on yet ANOTHER 5 pounds during the holidays!

I have been collecting post-sleeve friendly recipes and this is the one that I think I will love the most on holiday mornings because I too am a breakfast food lover!  In fact, I think I might make it the first morning soft foods are allowed!  (I'm going to order that protein bread!  It got great reviews!)

(From the Bariatric Foodie website, http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/p/favorite-recipes.html)

Jen's High Protein French Toast -- 22 grams of protein a slice!!!!

Ingredients:

2 slices P-28 high protein bread

2 eggs (or equivalent Egg Beaters if that's your thing)

1 tbsp Vanilla extract

1 tbsp Splenda

1 tsp Ground Cinnamon

2 tbsp milk (I use 2%, use whatever works for you)

4 or 5 slices of banana (this is less than 1/3 of a medium banana)

Sugar Free Pancake Syrup, I use Smucker's

2 pumps Davinci SF Caramel Syrup

Cooking Spray

Directions:

Beat the eggs in a small rectangular shaped bowl,  Add the milk, vanilla, Splenda, and cinnamon. Whisk together until thoroughly combined. Spray a non-stick griddle or skillet with cooking spray. 

Place the bread in the egg mixture and let it soak for a bit on each side. Remember this bread is a bit more dense than regular bread, so I let it soak a tad longer than you would with plain white or wheat bread. Flip to the other side and soak it

Put the soaked slice of bread in the hot non-stick skillet or griddle pan, let it brown on one side for almost a minute, then flip it over. Make sure you let it get nice and toasty brown on both sides, so it will be cooked through. Nothing worse than a bite of eggy gloop running out of your french toast!

Once it's brown on each side, remove it to a platter. Spread some "I can't believe it's not butter" or whatever you use on each slice while it's warm. Set the skillet back on the stove, we need it for the topping. 

Now here's the "Bananas Foster" part. In the still warm pan, place your banana slices, Sugar Free Pancake Syrup, and 2 pumps of Davinci Sugar Free Caramel Syrup. Stir it around for a minute just til the syrup warms up and the flavors combine. Don't turn the stove back on, we're not looking to cook the bananas, just want to heat it all up together and there's enough residual heat in the pan for that.

Pour the banana syrup mixture over your warm French toast and dig in! As I said before, 1 slice is a serving for me. I cut it unto 4 triangles, stacked it, then poured the syrup over it. Made with the exact same ingredients I used, 1 slice is 22g of protein.

Freeze the other slice for another meal later in the week, you can even cut it into "sticks" for a quick kid-friendly school day breakfast! 

Immediately after surgery: Blood sugars normal, metformin discontinued! Month 1: 18.2 lbs lost;  Month 2: 11 lbs lost.  Month 3: 11 lbs lost

staceyp1105
on 12/22/13 2:01 pm - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Awesome thanks.  Perfect since I love French toast.  And this is the first I am hearing of that bread so I will check that out.

diana44
on 12/22/13 9:27 am - GA
VSG on 09/04/13

I had a tearful conversation with my boyfriend a few weeks ago about feeling left out and having to fight not eating what he brings in the house.

Once he saw how difficult and emotional it was for me, he stopped immediately and continues to show support.  More power to you, I don't think I could have done what you have did tonight early on. Then again, the smell of food made me nausea. Congrats on your accomplishment.

DrewMN
on 12/22/13 9:38 am

I understand what you are going through...I just had my surgery a week ago on 12/16/13. The day after I got home, my dear wife, not realizing how the sight and smell would affect me, came into the house with Burger King since she had been out running around and was "starving". Aargh...I could smell it and that was a little rough. I was a on a clear liquid diet and was busy sipping on a bottle of Powerade Zero.  To make things even more fun, the following night, my son decided to come over after work and stopped at Subway on his way to the house...

I am really happy that I am not hungry, despite what my head tells me.

Congratulations on meeting the challenge of being in the same room with junk food and good luck on your journey. I have my own challenges to get through over the next few days with family gatherings. I will be sipping on a bottle of V8 and staying out of the kitchen...

HW=260   SW=238   VSG on 12/16/13

Most Active