"Well you should just have bypass"

Melanie W.
on 12/31/13 2:48 am - WA

What do you guys say when others are telling you to have bypass or DS?

I am committed to getting VSG and not have my intestines rerouted or have a new stoma created.

Others on here have been "pitching" bypass and DS to me and that those are basically the best surgeries.

Why did you choose the sleeve over bypass/DS?

Have you met/surpassed your weight loss goal?

PinkNoley
on 12/31/13 3:01 am - IN

I can't totally relate to this. My sister and father had bypass 10 years ago (pre-VSG) so my sister was insistent that I have bypass too. In fact, she was insistent that I have bypass from HER doctor...which is in a different state than where I live. I told her that was ridiculous. 

I chose VSG mainly because I have Celiac Disease and my surgeon recommended it because there's not as much malabsorbtion. But I think I would have regardless...the idea of dumping horrifies me.

Surgery: 9/20/2013
Highest Weight: 276 | Surgery Weight: 238.6 | Current Weight: 164 | Goal: 150

LosingSarah
on 12/31/13 3:05 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I am pretty early out, so I can not use myself as an example, but there are PLENTY of VSG success stories on this site. Most people are going to be biased towards there personal choice. Personal choice is the key phrase though! It's your personal choice and you can take the advice or not take it.

I'm sure you've done your research and made your choice based on that. Don't let anyone push you to make a decision you don't want to make. Whichever surgery you decide to have make sure it was your choice.

Again, I am early out, but I made my choice for many reasons, but they include your reasons (didn't want to be re-routed, ect). I am so far very happy with my new sleeve.

Good luck!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/13 3:20 am, edited 12/31/13 3:22 am
VSG on 06/04/12

First of all, this is your choice and one that only you can make. Lots of people may try to sway you one way or the other, but what's right for one person may not be right for another. I always say talking to your bariatric surgeon is the way to go. Turns out surgeons know quite a bit about the whole thing .

Personally I chose the sleeve because I wanted to live as "normal" a life as possible post-surgery. I don't need to take endless amounts of supplements, don't suffer from dumping and my intestines are where they started. I actually didn't even consider DS because no one anywhere near me offers that as an option. I started the process wanting the band and after lots of research I found the success rates and complications were really high with it. Plus, you have to go in for fills and I have a needle fear. 

I had my sleeve on June 4, 2012. I hit my goal weight of 150 in 6 months and I hit my revised goal of 135 two months later. I've kept it off without a lot of difficulty since last March. I now hover between 127 and 132. I lost a total of 141 lbs. I'm 5'7". 

Bottom line is you need to do what's right for you and ultimately the surgery is just a tool. It's how you utilize it that will make all the difference. I've seen people fail with the sleeve, band, bypass and DS. I've also seen people succeed with all of them. 

mickeymantle
on 12/31/13 3:23 am, edited 12/31/13 3:24 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

there all great surgeries 

but you need to make the best decision  based on your medical needs , this decision should be made with the help of your surgeon

you will lose weight with all of them they all help diabetes, you will lose faster with the rny or ds , but the vsg usually catches up if you stick to your plan   

you can not decide for or aganst the rny based on dumping only around 30% of rny patients dump and it is possible to dump with vsg or ds or even with out surgery

with the rny I would be more concerned with reactive hypoglycemia  witch is alot more dangerous than dumping 

the ds and rny have a better chance of leaking but they are all pretty low

the ds has a big chance of diarrhea  and smelly gas betting a problem and you need to take handfuls of supplements 

the vsg has the most normal life style , you can eat anything you want to , but need to make smart choices , you will only need to take a few multi vitamins and a few calcium citrate a day and b 12 weekly

the newest reports are showing about the same weight loss with the sleeve as the bypass with out the problems

and there is no stoma for food to get stuck in , I have never got food stuck yet ,and never thrown up

you can never take nsaid pain killers for back or knee pain that most of use have with the rny but you can with the sleeve or ds

I am happy with my decision to have the vsg

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Melanie W.
on 12/31/13 4:02 am - WA

I do get low blood sugar sometimes...scary I don't want that to be a usual problem.

New stomas scare me. Taking a hunk of stomach out doesn't bother me, but moving things around does.

The thought of bypass gives me anxiety...i told one surgeon that and he said "maybe you shouldn't have the surgery at all," which isn't what i was say...

I just couldn't live with everything all redone and jumbled up

cappy11448
on 12/31/13 3:25 am

I chose the VSG for the usual reasons - wanting to do the less invasive procedure,  not wanting to reroute my intestines, or do without my pyloric valve.  Not wanting the mal-absorption and potential vitamin deficiencies.  Not wanting to ever experience dumping, etc. 

I had a lot of weight to lose, and I have been very successful with my sleeve.  I've lost 166 pounds since starting the weight loss journey last January.  I still have 40 pounds to go, but I think I'll get to goal, and I love my sleeve. 

I think it is a personal decision.  I know a lot of people who are happy with the RNY's as well. But this was the right decision for me.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Melanie W.
on 12/31/13 4:04 am - WA

WOW look at your stats! You are rockin' the sleeve!!!!

I love this group! You guys help motivate me and seeing how far you have come really helps

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/13 3:35 am

I would write a list of pros and cons.Also people can not make this decision for you.All of these surgeries are a tool to lose weight.I think also it depends on how much weight you have to lose also.You will know what's right for you.

BlessedMama
on 12/31/13 3:40 am

Hi there!!

I have actually had the opposite problem. When I began my research, everyone in my life was devastated that I'd even consider RNY. My MIL had RNY surgery about six years ago, and had a very difficult complication with her small bowel. Knowing that, I was scared about even considering it, but more scared that I'd leave my husband alone with our two young sons.

When I went to the seminar at my surgeon's office, he did a fantastic job explaining the three procedures that he does, RNY, LapBand, and VSG. What made my decision for me was that there is no malabsorbtive part of the VSG - no rerouting of intestines and in my mind, that meant the complication I was most scared of wouldn't happen. From the way my surgeon described the lapband, I knew that I'd be able to defeat it in no time, and RNY seemed to be the best choice for those patients with such scary co-morbidities that speed of weight loss became important. I'm blessed to not have any (Praise Jesus!) co-morbidities, so RNY seemed like a bit of overkill.

I've been very encouraged by this board, and to read of the successes (and challenges) VSGers experience. I prayed to God before the seminar that he would make my path clear and show me how to proceed, and I believe He has. If you don't have a strong personal faith, then go with your gut (no pun intended), and make the decision that most speaks to you.

Good luck!

Elyse HW - 285 CW - 285 GW - 140   37 YO, 5'7 -  Seminar-11/19, 1st surgeon visit-12/3

Follow my journey at http://140byforty.blogspot.com/.

Most Active