Runners & Vet "SHOE" Question?

jacreasy
on 12/31/13 12:08 am, edited 12/31/13 12:11 am
VSG on 04/23/12

Well its been a while since I've popped in here. All is well I made it through the Holidays and here we are at the New Year!  I'm thinking of purchasing a new pair of running shoes to do mostly running in and classes at the gym. However I just wanted to know if any of you have a pair of "TRIATHLON TENNIS SHOES" and if so are they worth the money "IF" I'm not doing a Triathlon? I would be using them 6 days a week!!  I'm looking for a good pair of shoes that I can run in and figured since they were meant for all three that maybe that would be a good shoe to purchase.  Not sure on the brand but saw a pair just not sure if they are meant for me.

* I'm 1 year and 8 months out with a goal of 175 lbs, weighing 155 lbs & a total loss of 191 lbs  * Time to buy myself something!!

Any thoughts??

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Melanie W.
on 12/31/13 12:14 am - WA

My sister runs half marathons and the best thing you can do is to go to a running shoe store and have them fit you with shoes. Depending on your gait, you may need different shoes.

I overpronate so I have shoes with extra stability. I love my brooks pure cadence 2s...like walking on air.

vogue
on 12/31/13 12:15 am
VSG on 08/30/12
your best bet would be to go to a running store ( not sneaker store like Footlocker) and have your GAIT examined... get properly fitted and let your pronation be determined....
properly fitting shoes makes the difference when it comes to lack of injury, progression as well as how long shoe will last... the cost or name brand does not matter.... FITTING DOES!
Keith L.
on 12/31/13 12:16 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Running shoes are definitely worth the money, they help keep your knees, hips, and ankles from getting damaged. It is worth a trip to a running store and have them evaluate your gait and they will hook you up with a pair of shoes that are right for how you run and then when you run you will barely feel it. I am not sure I would get triathlon shoes if you re not planning to compete in one because they are for running/biking, etc. If you are looking to run, running shoes are the way to go.

I like the Ghost 6 but Mizuno and Asics Gels are also good, but getting evaluated is crucial, you will not be sorry. Plan to spend about $120 on the shoes but you will be very very happy.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Gingerbread1
on 12/31/13 3:38 am
VSG on 04/18/13

So important to have a gait analysis and get the RIGHT shoes. I want the cutest shoes with purple trim- you have to let that go and realize you need to buy the ones that will work for your feet, where you are now with weight -even if they aren't as cute. I'm working my high support mizunos which have a touch of pink on them- but over 80 lbs later I'm in need or new shoes. I keep seeing cute ones at the mall but know that I cannot afford the downtime of injury over the cute shoe factor. Besides, I can get super cute workout clothes these days! Fleet Feet is an awesome store. Their No Boundaries program is a great place to start if you want to learn to run. They give you a program and the best part is having a network of support for the weekly group runs and more! Check it out- I did it at my highest weight.

good luck!

Ginger

5'11" HW: 288 SW: 280 GW: 180 - Progress with me on MFP: goginger

Melanie W.
on 12/31/13 4:09 am - WA

I have a pair of high support brooks, but they are kinda heavy and huge! I went on ebay and bought a pair of the brooks pure cadence 2s since i'm usually barefoot all day and these are their "type of minimalist" shoe...well as minimal as you can get with a shoe for overpronation...they are cute too! purple and silver

jacreasy
on 12/31/13 5:03 am
VSG on 04/23/12

Thanks... I didn't even think to have my foot fitted. If Im going to spend the money guess that would be a good idea! Happy New Year!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Gwen M.
on 12/31/13 6:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I concur with the suggestion to go to a running store and get fitted for shoes.  I'm pre-op, but I did this a few months ago and have the best shoes I've ever had.  

My marathoner partner agrees.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active