Chili - Perfect Food? YUM

Melanie W.
on 1/1/14 5:24 am, edited 1/1/14 5:33 am - WA

I made a huge crockpot of chili and I think it has to be a perfect food for protein and filling you up..Here's my recipe...well McCormicks lol

2 large cans pinto beans

2 large cans kidney beans

2-3 large cans tomato sauce (depending on how thick you like your chili) - no sugar added

1 can tomato chunks

1 lb ground turkey breast

3-4 packs McCormicks Chili Seasoning - they even have low sodium...

You can add additional veggies if you'd like, like corn and green peppers.

I will freeze bowls of it and have my own "frozen meals."

I top with a little low fat cheddar - It's delicious

Melanie W.
on 1/1/14 5:26 am - WA

You can sub for all kidney beans or other types of beans : )

puffierus
on 1/1/14 5:36 am - PA

Before my surgery when i was on my medical weightmanagement  program i had a cup of chile everyday for lunch i would add a lb of ground turkey and very lean ground beef. It helped me lose 50lbs before my surgery. I am  thinking i need to get on the chili gravy train again

HW 268   SW219   CW 181.2 surgery date 10/31/2013

:<span class=

Melanie W.
on 1/1/14 5:44 am - WA

I love chili!!! yum

I could eat it and mexican food everyday

I also do a taco salad with 3 or 4 tortilla chips crushed up to give it a tiny bit of a crunch

i love old el paso low sodium taco seasoning...it's so good

Annie1022
on 1/1/14 5:45 am

Since my surgery,I can't handle tomato based foods like chili, spaghetti and salsa, I really hope this passes.  Has anyone else had a problem?  I love chili.

Melanie W.
on 1/1/14 5:52 am - WA

could be the acid in the tomatoes? are you on a PPI? if not i'd try a pepcid or what not before eating something tomato based : )

Annievvho
on 1/1/14 6:58 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

The first time I ate chili, it caused a problem. I was later switched to Prilosec instead of Prevacid for my PPI, and I had chili for lunch today, and it went great.

luvbskts
on 1/1/14 5:45 am

looks yummy

LosingSarah
on 1/1/14 8:21 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Chili is on my menu often. It was before and after surgery. It really is a nice option nutritionally and flavorfully :)  I like to top mine with a tiny dollop of 0% Plain Greek Yogurt. It gives it a nice creamy sour cream flavor, but with extra protein and without the extra calories.  I make mine with both lean ground chicken & lean ground beef. I cannot stomach ground turkey, personally.

Annie1022
on 1/1/14 8:57 am

My doctor said to try to wean  off of PPI so I don't take them then pay for it.  

Most Active