Time off question for post ops

kellma699
on 1/2/14 1:48 pm
VSG on 02/04/14
Hi, I am a full text me student and work part time, only about 8 hours per week. I have no issue taking 2 weeks off of work, but cannot miss much class. Do you think if I had surgery on a Thursday and went back to class on the following Tuesday, that it would be enough time? I have 2 hours of class, an hour break and then another hour class this next quarter. I could use that hour napping in my car. My husband is also a full time student and we can ride together so I don't need to drive. He will also take care of everything at home and our 12 year old. So basically my only responsibilities at first will be taking notes in class and doing homework. Do you think this is possible? Could you have handled it? My surgeon thinks it will be fine but I am nervous.
kellma699
on 1/2/14 1:49 pm
VSG on 02/04/14
*full time, not full text me. Lol silly phone.
mickeymantle
on 1/2/14 2:09 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

it might be possible but it would be hard , I would talk to the teacher  about your needs the first week you will need to walk around  5 minutes every hour to prevent blood clots , also you will need to be drinking all day , and you may need to go to the bathroom , diarrhea  is a common problem the first few weeks, also 

you may have problems paying attention ,, it might be better if you could have your surgery during spring break or the summer  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Debra M.
on 1/2/14 2:12 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

You will start walking right after surgery, so I agree with your doctor.  After a week of being cooped up you will be ready to get out of the house.  I was off all pain meds by day 4.  Sounds like you have a plan.  Remember that each day is better than the previous day. Go with your plan and play it by ear.  We are all different.  Good luck.

Diana E.
on 1/2/14 3:03 pm
VSG on 03/27/13
You won't know how your post op will go until it happens. I have 2 kids that due to lack of busing in our area, I have to drive to and from school daily. So I very much needed to know about recovery and when I could drive. My surgery was on a Wednesday. My surgeon said I could drive by Monday. NOPE. I was bed bound for a solid week and unable to drive for 2 weeks. I also had some fainting spells and trouble getting liquids in. Those were all unplanned and unforseen. Also keep in mind, you will be on pain killers. I don't know what your course load is like, but I couldn't imagine doing class work that first week. I took that semester off knowing I was having surgery. So glad I did. Made everything much easier.

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

KrissyMisssy
on 1/2/14 9:27 pm, edited 1/2/14 9:29 pm - TN
VSG on 12/02/13

My surgery was on a Monday, and I went to class later that week. I missed Tuesday classes, but I went to a 2 hour lab on Wednesday, and 4 classes on Thursday over a 6 hour period with 15-20 minutes in between each class. I took a water bottle with me and I didn't need to eat in between. I was slightly tired because I wasn't sleeping well (I had to sleep in a recliner the first week because laying down hurt my incisions), so I wouldn't do it during finals week or anything, but it's doable, provided you don't have any complications during surgery. 

kellma699
on 1/2/14 10:58 pm
VSG on 02/04/14
Thank you. This makes me feel like it is doable. I plan on sleeping in my recliner too. I had a tummy tuck after losing 105lbs and my recliner was a life saver then. I'm having the vsg because I've gained back 40 of the 105. Just can't keep it off on my own anymore! Anyway, thank you.
BetterTheSecondTime
on 1/2/14 9:58 pm - Cortlandt Manor, NY

I just had surgery on Monday and I feel like today I could handle going to a class & taking notes. You'll probably be wiped out when you're done and need to make sure to get extra rest when you aren't at school, but I can understand the need to not miss classes. Back when I was in grad school I didn't take a honeymoon because I couldn't miss classes....it's important to stay on track. 
As far as the walking every 5 minutes, I never heard anything like that from my surgeon. I would get up and stretch a bit, which I'm sure if you explain to your professors they won't have a problem with. As long as you have your water to sip, sip, sip....I think you'll be good. 

kellma699
on 1/2/14 11:00 pm
VSG on 02/04/14
Thank you. I need to have this surgery this month or next and spring break isn't til end of March. I plan on going to MI then to visit my Mom. Anyway, I plan on packing my fluids and water and sipping in class.
cappy11448
on 1/2/14 10:44 pm

Hi,

I had surgery on Wednesday and I was back to work part time on the following Monday.  I had an easy recovery - not much pain, not much nausea.  I was low energy and slept a lot for many weeks, but with any luck, you should be able to get back to class 5 days later.  My first three days, I was wasted - I felt like I had the flu.  but by day 5 I was doing fine.

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views