IV Iron Infusions, B12 shots and low heart rate

Dawnie 88
on 1/5/14 7:37 am

Just curious if anyone else has any of these issues. I had my surgery April 16, 2010. I started passing out in August and feeling extremely weak. I had to have a blood transfusion (2 units)..because my hemoglobin was at 7. My iron was barely registering a 1..so i started weekly IV Iron Infusions for 12 weeks. I completed those at the end of November and started weekly B12 shots that I have to do for 6 mths. At my appt for the B12 shot this last week I was told my heart rate was really low..at 42 beats per minute. Every week for past 5 mths it is always in the 70's. Nurses were concerned because i am also feeling dizzy. I went to the ER..had an EKG..heart rate dropped to as low as 27..but is staying around 42 right now. I have an appt with a cardiologist in a week...anyone else have this happen?

metk79
on 1/5/14 10:03 am

I have not had these issues but I'm curious to know what your cardiologists says.  Please keep us posted!  Prayers to you in hopes you'll get to feeling better soon! 

Surgery Date: 11/15/13 HW: 376 Day of surgery: 341 CW: 257 GW: 170

dot4you
on 1/5/14 12:38 pm - CA

I did have the low iron and had to have the infusions also. But I'm now 10 months out from those and my iron is holding steady at 14. I'm so glad because I was about an 8 and I felt horrible! I know you're not feeling at all well with the numbers you posted.

I have changed the way I eat and I always take a vitamin w/iron. I also believe heavy periods could be to blame. Not sure how old you are...but woman in their 40's can have this issue.

I also have heart issues (that's from birth on)...but my heart isn't effected from the VSG.

Glad they are sending you to the cardio doctor. They'll do some testing and get to the bottom of what's going on.

Is your iron levels holding after the recent treatments? Are you eating lots of protein? ( I wasn't)

I wish you the very best & a fast recovery from all these iron issues.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views