Sweet Potato Shepherd's pie..amazing!!

freckles1973
on 1/6/14 3:34 am - Canada

I am always looking for new recipes to try that will not only appeal to me after WLS but to friends and family as well. I found a recipe for a Sweet Potato Shepherd's pie which I made this weekend. I have heard of this people making this dish before in conversations and decided to give it a try.. it was amazing!! My boyfriend loved it and ate most of it..lol. I was not too worried about the carbs from the sweet potato as I knew they were good carbs..and I only landed up being able to eat 1/2 cup serving of the pie and and that consisted of the meat and veggies. What is also great about this recipe is that I had leftovers which I brought to work today for lunch. 1/3 cup Shepherd's pie and 1/2 cup steamed broccoli.

Here's the recipe

Enjoy!!

Ingredients:

• 3 large sweet potatoes
  • 1 to 1& 1/2 lbs ground turkey (or lean ground beef)..I used extra lean ground beef
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 cup of frozen peas, carrots and corn mixture..can add 1/2 cup more if you prefer more veggies
  • 1 tbsp Italian dressing..I used the light version
  • 2-3 tbsp of herbs & chive cream cheese spread..I used 2 TBSP.
  • dash of cinnamon and nutmeg..optional

Directions:

1. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into 2 inch cubes. Place in a pot and cover with water. Boil the sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes, or until they can be pierced easily with a fork.

2. In the meantime, spray a large skillet with nonstick spray. Add about 2-3 tsp of Italian dressing to the pan. Stir in the onions and cook for about a minute. Then add the ground turkey, sprinkle it with some cinnamon and nutmeg, and coo****il the meat is no longer pink.

3. Defrost the frozen veggie mixture. (can eyeball it for the casserole dish you’re using–it will be one layer in it.)

4. Once the sweet potatoes are tender, mash them and add the remainder of the Italian dressing and cream cheese. Mix well. Taste it to see if you have the right consistency and it’s the way you like it. (It may require more or less of these ingredients, depending on your preference!)

5. Now assemble the casserole. I used an 8×8 square glass baking di**** was the perfect size. First layer: meat and onion mixture. Second layer: carrots, peas and corn. Third layer: sweet potatoes.

6. Bake the casserole uncovered in a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until everything is heated through.

Variations: Can use sour cream instead of chive cream cheese . They also had green beans as the main vegetable. Choose whichever sounds more appealing. When the casserole comes out of the oven, try sprinkling some shredded cheddar cheese on top–makes it extra gooey. I did this about 3 Tbsp of extra sharp cheddar..gave it a nice kick :-)

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

danixbanani
on 1/6/14 4:03 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Sounds good!  another favorite of mine is to swap the potatoes out for cauliflower...so so good and my hubby loves it :) 

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

freckles1973
on 1/6/14 4:40 am - Canada

Lol..that's funny..that's actually my next attempt ! Found some good recipes already!

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

Most Active
Trying to lose
LookingtoBskinny · 2 replies · 47 views