Naked

Vanessa_M
on 1/7/14 11:32 am, edited 1/7/14 11:33 am

At this point I've lost 127 pounds and I feel amazing.  I'm 10 pounds away from 100% EWL - normal on the BMI chart - and I'm a little over 8 months out.  I don't have the belly (sorry, I can't remember what it's called and I'm sure it's not called a panini) and I've managed to avoid serious bat wings as well.  But, I'm starting to get that extra skin sag at my upper thighs.   The weather has wreaked havoc on my running (I prefer to run outside) but I get to the gym several days a week and I'm working with a trainer again.  If it wasn't a million degrees below zero here in Jersey, I would be running 5 - 6 days a week about 3 - 4 miles.

So here's my question has anyone who has lost a good amount of weight decided to STOP losing weight because they were starting to look a little wonky naked?  Is my thinking way off base?  I made it to my first goal (205), hit my second goal (190) and now am chasing NORMAL (180)  but sometimes I wonder if I should just hold steady where I am so I don't have to fight the sag.  I really don't think I want to have plastic surgery (I'm a bit of a baby!).  Has anyone gone through that thought process and just continued on anyway?  People are starting to ask me if I'm done losing weight and things like that.  I'm trying not to let that get in my head and let me slide from commitment to complacency.   The goal of surgery was to get healthy and improve my lifestyle, but looking good naked would be a nice plus.

I guess I'm rambling a bit, but I was just wondering....

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Dr. Rohit Patel, Cooper University Hospital 

trinoc
on 1/7/14 6:00 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I'm pre-surgery so I have no experience with what you're dealing with but I really just wanted to congratulate you on a job well done.  Whether you decide to continue losing or to stay where you are for now, you've done so well!  Great work!!! 

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Vanessa_M
on 1/7/14 6:50 pm
Awww. Thanks! Lots of luck to you as you begin your journey!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

cappy11448
on 1/7/14 7:24 pm

First congratulations on the wonderful weight loss, and being so close to goal in 8 months.  That is truly excellent work. 

Second,  you are so lucky that you are only seeing small changes in your body and skin with that much weight loss. 

Third,  its been my experience that over time, my skin tightens up, so I go thru periods of lose skin and then, tighter skin again.  So I wouldn't stop the weight loss because of a bit of lose skin.  Your skin may very well tighten up over the next few months even if you lose all your excess weight.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Vanessa_M
on 1/7/14 11:02 pm
Thank you! I'm hoping that the skin tightens up! I think I do want to see that magic number on the scale. It'd be a shame to get so close then let vanity make my final decision. Thanks for the encouragement!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/7/14 8:19 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

LOL, super LOL...panini!!! I'd love one of those now...tomato and mozzarella....yummm!!!! Seriously though, congrats on almost goal! I would not stop if I were you until 10% below goal. Bounce back does happen and if we want to somehow retrain our bodies into accepting a new set point I suspect we have to go lower first in order to settle in the normal range. From everything I read, the free ride of effortless weight loss does come to an end inevitably and it is good to be on the lower end when it does happen. Skin....well....that **** happens. Panini!!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Vanessa_M
on 1/7/14 11:09 pm
I think I watch too much Food Network! I'm thinking that i'll keep on until I get into the 170's so I have room for bounce back. And you're right...**** happens.

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

Jackie T.
on 1/7/14 9:58 pm - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I have a little different take on this.  I think you ignore the BMI chart.  You need to look at yourself and be comfortable with where you are.  Some people lose so much weight that they just don't look good and don't even feel good.  I have met my surgeon's goal, my PCP goal and am now trying to hit my personal goal.  I am less than 10lbs from it but I am really okay with where I am.  I do feel like I can take that 10 lbs off so I will probably shoot for it but I have not tried since October but I have maintained my weight during this time due to some major life issues (I shouldn't use it as an excuse, I know!).  Mom is out of the hospital after 3 months and time to focus on me again. 

I too have some sagging skin in the thigh area and over time it has tightened up some but I have not done any weight training to try and tone the area so it might tighten some more.  You sound like you are a lot more active and if that little bit of sagging skin is going to affect your moods then the last 10 lbs might not be worth it.  You have to make that choice based on how you feel about yourself.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Vanessa_M
on 1/7/14 11:15 pm
A lot of people say ignore the chart and I was all for it until I started to get close! I don't know if it's my sense of competition that is pushing me towards that goal or what. And just like the scale affects my mood sometimes that random glance in the mirror can send me spiraling. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting a little crazy with it. Glad mom is out of the hospital and you can focus on you again! We'll fight the last 10 pounds together!

VSG Surgery 4/30/2013

shiftling
on 1/7/14 11:22 pm - Kelowna BC, Canada

Oh hun I know exactly where you are. I have a panni and wings and horrid thighs so I panicked when they became more apparent and stopped "just for a little while," but soon regained due to other cir****tances, so from my experiences please don't let it stop you!

Anne-Marie (Amry)
  Tangental pixie of chiming in and support through the usage of cuteness overload.

S L E E V E D!  

Most Active