I survived my first restaurant meal..since sleeve

staceyp1105
on 1/11/14 1:00 pm - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13
Am 31/2 weeks post op and have been in soft foods for 3 days.  Went out to eat!  Ordered white fish with citrus salsa (hold the salsa).   Ditched the rice in exchange for plain baked potato and steamed veggies.   Eyeballed about an ounce of the fish, tablespoon or so of potato which I mashed.   And set the rest to the side.I skipped the veggies as they weren't properly overcooked ( most restaurants wouldn't WANT to do that). It was really good.  I ate slow and I'm so happy it all agreed with me.  Even better..I could have continued eating and probably would have been within plan to have a little but more but didn't want to push my luck.   I brought the rest home and for kicks, portioned out a similar amount to what I ate to weigh at home.  Weighed in at 1.25 ounces...pretty good.   And I have a few more meals out if my leftovers and I can now overcook my veggies to try.
rengirl1978
on 1/11/14 1:06 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Sounds yum! I survived my 1st outing as well. I ordered a kid omelet with spinach and mushrooms and easy on the cheese... This thing was gigantic! I brought a measuring cup and a ****tail fork. The waitress didn't even question me ordering from the kids menu. I am glad your visit to a restaurant for the first time went as well as mine! 

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

staceyp1105
on 1/11/14 1:56 pm - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Your funny with the measuring cup...I actually thought about that.  Are you on full eggs?  I'm only allowed egg whites for another 3 weeks which fortunately I don't mind.

Have you tried anything that hasn't agreed with you?  I've been good with all mine but I've been taking it slow with new foods.

Hope you are doing well with everything else!

Luvs2Cruise
on 1/11/14 2:48 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Rengirl~

Kudos to you for bringing a measuring cup when eating out.  I am 2 months out and when I eat out I bring a measuring cup as well as a super small scale.  I could care less what others around me think.  My getting to goal is too important to not stay on plan and "eyeball" things when eating out.  :)

VSG on 10/30/13 Surgeon: Erik Throop    "There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them." ~ Ralph Marston

HW: 447 YIKES!!!! SW: 293  CW: 140 GW:140?  100% on Plan -100% of the time!!!

Losses by Months: (5' 1") WL Pre-Op-154  M1-28​, M2-12, M3-18, M4-15, M5-14.5, M6-13.5, M7-10, M8-13, M9-14, M10-10, M11-1 (What the heck??)  M12-4as of today's date     

rengirl1978
on 1/11/14 2:11 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I have not had anything that didn't agree except for some guac I made on the 1st day of my pureed diet! Everything else has been good. I was worried about the egg, since I have read a lot of horror stories on here, but it went down good! I've had ground turkey, baked chicken, and baked salmon. All of which I take teeny tiny bites of with a ****tail fork.

briebrie77
on 1/11/14 11:49 pm - Edmond, OK

I've had a couple of eating out meals that I enjoyed. I am learning to go by how I feel more than a measurement on a scale or measuring cup. I am also really good at eyeballing portions. What I found is that I may need a little more than 1/4 cup or 2 ounces of a certain food to gain long term satiety. I am instead extremely careful to avoid sugars, starches and fats. Sugars (even small amounts) and fats do not agree with me at all. My nut said I am not really at risk of stretching out my sleeve since I am on very soft foods still, and I feel fullness very quickly. I carry Stevia packets in my purse to use in any beverage or item that needs to be sweetened. My dietician ok'd for me to go by how I am feeling with portions because the foods I choose are low fat, low/ no sugar and most are very high in protein. I ate a 1/2 Tilapia filet (2 oz) the other day and wondered why I was seriously full and found out it is extremely dense with protein. Great food, that fish! Keep up the good work ladies!!! You are going to make it just fine. kiss

PATIENCE, COURAGE, PERSEVERANCE

staceyp1105
on 1/12/14 1:56 am - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Thank you.  I am about a week behind you.  I don't trust my stomach yet.  Or maybe it's my head I don't trust.  I still feel the pull of head hunger and the "wanting more" syndrome and I truly can't distinguish what is real need and what's not.  With the onset of allowable new foods, I am a little scared of the newfound freedom after the liquids. 

i haven't eaten more than 3-4 oz total at any one meal (typically 3, but depends on food) and 8 oz liquids.  And I haven't "over eaten" to the point of ill, which is good.  That said, if I happen to make that mistake, (and I suspect everyone does at some point), maybe then my physical cues will kick in?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views