Neuropathy and VSG

FindingMyWeigh
on 1/12/14 10:35 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

So I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet.  It's idiopathic, they don't know why I have it but about 1/3 of the cases they just can't pinpoint a cause. I've never been pre-diabetic or a drinker, the usual subjects, so it's just one of those lovely things life sometimes visits on unsuspecting people LOL  I keep it mostly pain free with amitriptyline (brand name is Elavil and it's actually an old school anti-depressant).

The neuropathy is generally under control with a flare up for a few days a month. Stress is definitely a trigger.  Part of the reason why I had the VSG was to take pressure off of my feet by losing weight, and, ain't gonna lie, I was hoping it would go away at some point. 

For the past 10 days I have been in SO much pain. Taking way more RX to control it than usual and with limited improvement. It's worse at night, which is par for the course. I was trying to figure out what in hell caused this flare-up?

I'm knowledgeable about the human body, having been in college and working towards my nursing degree. I went back to the basics and the covering on our nerves is called myelin. It's made up of primarily protein and lipids (fats).  I was trying to figure out WHY it had flared up. My dietary protein intake is on course..but my fats are very very low. I decided to add about 1.5TBS of mayo to my chicken breast and albacore tuna for the past two days..and the pain was back to tolerable levels. It all but stopped!

I hope that this helps anyone that may be suffering from flare ups in neuropathy in their feet after VSG. Adding a small amount of fat back into my diet brought my pain back under control.  

cece58
on 1/12/14 10:48 pm - CA

I wonder if avocado or olive oil would be better choices for fat. Also maybe almonds and walnuts. I would experiment with them. Healthier fats may be better for you and maybe even more helpful. Good luck.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Scribbler
on 1/13/14 1:35 am

I would recommend a good olive oil mayonnaise as opposed to those commercial brands made with industrial seed oils like cottonseed. Might as well make those calories count!  Healthy fats are essential, but they are calorie rich and are only needed in small amounts.

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 1/13/14 2:24 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

I also have neuropathy, but my doc had me on 100mg of B6 prior to surgery that addressed it 95% of the time.  After surgery he bumped me to 200mg (100, morning & evening) because of absorption issues similar to the B12 issues we have.  I had to stay off it for the first 10 days after surgery, but now I'm good to go. 

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

FindingMyWeigh
on 1/13/14 2:28 am
VSG on 10/30/13

That's very helpful information. Thank you for that. I take B-100 and a B complex but it's not specifically B6 and certainly not that dosage amount. I'll let you know if it works for me..and I hope it does, because that amitriptyline is utterly vile LOL 

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 1/13/14 2:42 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

Do be careful though- I'm pretty closely monitored.  B6 isn't like C where if you megadose you pee it out.  You can OD on B6 and exacerbate the neuropathy.  

Good luck!  Congrats on your journey!

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

Most Active