1st Week Post Op

mkvand
on 1/13/14 6:32 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I have to say, this week has been more difficult than I expected.  Unlike many people I've seen post, I do have restriction on how much liquid I can drink, so I'm not meeting my liquid or protein goals.  I have to sip very slowly, or I can feel the liquid sit in my esophagus and hear it slowly trickle into my sleeve.  I sound like backed up plumbing.  The surgeon says it's due to swelling and will improve as the swelling goes down. As it is, I'm averaging six cups a day instead of the eight I'm supposed to get.  I'm also not bouncing back from this surgery as quickly as I expected, which I assume is from not getting enough fluid or protein.  I've had 10 other surgeries, and I don't remember being this tired a week after any of them.  At least I don't have to be back to wor****il next Monday.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

Sandy M.
on 1/13/14 6:57 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I think you're doing just fine!  I took 2 naps a day for the first week, then one nap a day for another several days.  Right around day 10 was when I started to feel somewhat human again.  As for the feeling the liquid go down - I had that too.  Just keep trying to get your liquid in, and if the weather is okay outside, go for a walk or two a day.  The sunshine and exercise will help you bounce back too.

It can't be emphasized enough that you had major surgery.  Focus on the liquid for now and the protein will come.  

Feel better!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

mkvand
on 1/13/14 7:10 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Thanks.  I know from reading other posts that it takes a while to bounce back, but I usually heal faster than expected after surgery, so healing at the normal rate is frustrating.

Kvp1029
on 1/13/14 7:25 am
Revision on 12/28/13

I'm 2 weeks post op and I feel like I healing super slow as well.  Pain is stilbadand I having a hard time keepingliquiddown since I ran out of phenegreb

mkvand
on 1/13/14 7:31 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I've been lucky to have no nausea.  I used the scopalamine patch.  You stick it behind your ear and it's good for three days.  Maybe your doctor could prescribe that?  I still have pain as well, but mostly just when I move.  I've been using a pillow and holding it against my stomach whenever I move to help.  It's making me second guess my decision not to get an abdominal binder.

ChangingMyLife13
on 1/13/14 7:35 am

Good luck!  Hope you feel much better soon!

mustlovepoodles
on 1/13/14 8:42 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I had that same feeling the first week. I really didn't think I was going to be able to get it all in. The protein drink they had at the hospital was just horrible. My doctor understood though, and he said just try to get your fluids in and keep trying on the protein.   At first, I could only drink if I sat bolt upright or walked around. I could literallly hear and feel the liquid going down the drain. And any time I drank to fast I go the WORST pain in my left shoulder and under my breastbone.  I'm 13 days out now and i probably turned for the better around day 10.  I really didn't think I could do it, but now I'm getting 6+ ounces of fluids every hour and I'm easily getting my protein in.

One suggestion is to try the Syntrax Nectars. I didn't like them at first, but then I learned the trick:  Make it with 16 ounces of water instead of 8 ounces, shake well, and stick it in the fridge for a couple hours. I pour out only 4 to 8 ounces into a cup and top it off with crushed ice.  It's a rather watery version of Crystal Light, but I really like it this way. Making it by the directions gave me powerful headaches, but by diluting it this way I have had no problems at all.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

mkvand
on 1/13/14 11:28 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I've got samples of the nectar, and even mixing it with extra water and letting it sit in the fridge, I can't stand it.  I think the problem is I've never liked crystal light, mio, or any of the additives and that doesn't seem to have changed.  I've always been a plain water drinker, and even now, I can ge****er down better than the protein, but there is no nutrition in water.

Most Active