Meeting with surgeon Wednesday

Justin L.
on 1/27/14 1:57 pm

So it's for real; I am meeting with the surgeon Wednesday afternoon. This meeting is way over due. I decided a few years ago that if I ever did WLS it would be a sleeve. I went to a seminar last wednesday and have been pushing to get into see my surgeon as soon as I could because my insurance requires 6 months of monitoring first.

Now that it is scheduled, nerves kick in a little. I just want to make sure I ask all of the right questions. I already asked in the seminar what bougie size he uses. He said 40f. Seems a little large, so I plan to get more detail on why and if he ever uses smaller.

I have read some older posts and have ideas for questions to ask, but if anyone feels inclined to suggest more, I'm all ears. 

Just thought I would let everyone know.....my journey begins. 

Justin

SW-349.6 (7/15/14)  CW-214.1 (12/29/14) Total Lost - 135.5

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/14 12:20 am

Hi there.  I just had my surgery visit yesterday.  Here are some questions I asked (I may be forgetting some bc I don't have list in front of me).  Maybe you already have these, and maybe it will spark something for you.  Hope it helps!

1. How many Sleeves have you done?  How many RNY?  Are you more comfortable with one vs the other?

2. Have you had any deaths?  Any leaks?  Any other complications directly related to the surgery?

3. Will I have any restrictions on any meds post op?

4. Will you be available for my after care either personally or by phone at any time?

5. What size sleeve will you do and why?  (I think it's important to ask why because you can get a good sense of whether or not they know their stuff). 

6. Would you recommend Sleeve vs RNY to your wife/sister/daughter/son, etc if their stats were exactly like mine? 

7.  What will happen if you find I have a hernia?

8.  Is there any link of VSG to cancer? (may sound crazy but I wanted to know)

9.  How will I feel after surgery - from 1 hour to 2 weeks

10.  Ask about exercise plan

11.  Ask who is responsible for giving you diet plan and instructions when you leave the hospital

12. What percentage of your time is spent in the operating room?

I had more but that's all I can remember right now.  I hope it helps.

Justin L.
on 1/28/14 3:57 am
Thank you. I didn't have some of these and they are good. It is awesome knowing there is so much support here. I saw your posts and am excited to see others around the same steps I am.
pineview01
on 1/28/14 1:45 pm - Davison, MI

I had already done my 6 month diet for my insurance with my pcp before I saw my surgeon.  My insurance didn't care which medical person and seeing the pcp was less costly.  I had seen my doc for other issues and as long as I was weighed and weight talked about was noted it count.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active