Close to 4 Week Weight Loss Stall

hope123
on 1/28/14 10:14 am, edited 1/28/14 11:28 am - MO

Hi Guys.  I'm at 13 weeks post-op from the sleeve and hiatal hernia repair.  I've been stuck at 187 pounds for almost 4 weeks now.  I recently began eating small amounts of food.  Until then I was on liquid protein only, because I had problems swallowing due to my hiatal hernia repair, (it took forever to heal).  Plus, I had major acid reflux issues (I'm on PPI's).  I've only been taking in anywhere from 250 to 500 calories per day (and I'm watching the protein and carbs).  If I'm only taking in that many calories per day, shouldn't I be losing SOME weight?  I cannot understand this stall.  I talked to the dietician at my doctor's office, and she said it's normal for people to stall when they change over from liquids only to solids.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Advice welcome.  Thanks!

pineview01
on 1/28/14 12:07 pm - Davison, MI

How much protein are you getting?  I was getting the 64g+ that the Nut said we needed but, had your problem.  My therapist had a Nutritional plan from the former Nut which called for 80-120 grams.  Once I kicked it up I did much better.  That said I did have stalls too.

You do need the protein to heal!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

hope123
on 1/28/14 12:57 pm - MO

Close to 60 for protein, but what we've always been told when dieting in the past (pre-surgery) is it matters how many calories you take in.  If you take in less then you burn, you will lose weight.  I don't understand why this rule would change now post-op?  It's still less calories, so shouldn't we lose weight? Thanks

Gwen M.
on 1/29/14 12:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It seems that all the vets who post here go for 80+ protein and current research seems to indicate that not all calories are created equally.  

So if I were in your shoes, I'd be making sure that I was getting 80+ grams of protein a day and 80+ ounces of water as well.   I'd make sure to eat protein first, and not drink within 30 minutes of either side of every meal.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GingerJen
on 1/28/14 2:28 pm
VSG on 03/07/14

The calorie in-calorie out myth is still commonly believed since the 1980s. There is so much science now that shows it isn't the case. There are so many other factors in play especially with obesity. A thin person can eat more on occasions and stay thin. I heard its like a faucet. More water runs in with a clean drain (thin) and it just goes through. More water runs in with a faulty drain (obesity) and it backs up. Also, they have done studies showing that if they feed obese and naturally thin people high calorie diets, obese will gain drastically more weight. Conversely, you feed them both very low calorie and obese lose a lot less. It shows there is something else there besides just calorie numbers. 

That being said, we can still beat this with our tools. Talk to your nutritionist. Especially if you are as low as 250ish long term, your body may think it is in starvation and be trying to hold on. Also, I think about fluid shifts. We drink 2+ liters a day. That weighs 4.4+ pounds. 

Good luck. I know I will be in the same position and be puzzled. On the flip side, it seems cool when we lose a pound in a day. That doesn't make sense with simple calories. Even at 500 cal and exercise, a pound is 3500 cal and there is no way I burn 4000 calories in a day to lose that poundd

if only it were aimple

you are doing great!

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

hope123
on 1/28/14 3:12 pm - MO

Well, it's all so confusing.  Some people say "calories in calories out" is correct, some say it isn't.  Some people say your body could be in starvation mode, then some people say that's a myth.  I just wish I knew what was really going on, LOL!  Thanks for giving your input though, it's much appreciated.  I hope we both figure this out.  :-)

Mrs_Desire _
on 1/28/14 9:23 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

How tall are you? My dietician wants me at 70 grams of protein a day because of my height. Also check out the NET carbs. Try not to get in no more than 20 - 30. Calories shoot for 600 - 650.... How much fiber are you getting in also. Up your water/ fluids...

Hope this helps.

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

hope123
on 1/29/14 1:57 am - MO

I'm only 5'3" - so our protein allowance should be different, with mine being less.  Although the literature I was given from the doctor's office doesn't have a variation for different heights, and they've never told me any different, but I know what you mean. Thanks for your input and advice!  :-)

purplefritter
on 1/28/14 11:33 pm
Stalls are normal. You can search for "stalls" and find many conversations about it. I recently just got over one of my stalls. I am 4 months out and was stalled 3 weeks. Although I know by reading other posts that stalls happen I began to panic. I was worried I was not doing something right. But....the scale finally moved again and yours will too. Follow your plan, make sure you have enough protein, and try to be patient.

hope123
on 1/29/14 1:58 am - MO

Oh yes, I realize stalls are normal and there are a lot of posts about them, and I've had two week stalls before, but I thought 4 weeks was a bit long for a stall.  I'm trying to be patient though.  Thanks  :-)

Most Active