I am losing weight Yeah

BlueKitty
on 1/29/14 2:22 am - CA
VSG on 12/18/13

I have lost a total of 86 lbs since starting this journey and 48 lbs of it since Dec.  I keep wondering if I am getting enough water since I am getting only 48 ozs of water a day and between 40-50 g of protein but the thought of more is over whelming.  I keep trying to drink more but it just wants to come back up. I keep wonder if I am getting enough protein and water.  Does everyone feel like this?  I actually hate eating, it feels like such a chore it takes me sometimes up to a hour to eat and the tastes are so repeated.  I have been on solid food for two weeks but I miss salad.  Tuna would taste so much better with lettuce. I keep thinking of all the current meals tasting better with veggies I use to have with them. I keep wonder what harm would there be in shredding up some lettuce and adding it. But fear what might happen like it causing dumping.  Well thank you for letting me get all of these weird thoughts out of my head.

Tracy D.
on 1/29/14 2:37 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here's the potential "harm" with lettuce:   if you're talking your normal salad lettuce it has zero nutritional value and takes up valuable real estate in your teeny-tiny stomach.  Plus it can be very hard to tolerate so early out.  Every bite of food right now has to be a nutritional powerhouse - lettuce just doesn't cut it, most salads don't, frankly. 

As for water.  You're doing well with it this early out.  You'll find that at 2-3 months you can get a lot more in because you can take slightly bigger drinks then.  You want to shoot for 64-80 oz. minimum once you get to that point.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Erica77
on 1/29/14 2:39 am - MN

There are days you get in your water and protein, and days you struggle.  I always carried around a water bottle with me the first few months, that seemed to help.  Not sure how far out you are, but try tuna salad with a little lettuce, make a small lettuce wrap? As long as you are cleared for veggies. Go slow with it and pay attention to your pouch.

Great job on your success so far! 

HW- 398  SW- 371 CW- 224 GW- 175      5'11     27lbs lost preop

Melody2
on 1/29/14 3:55 am
VSG on 04/10/13

It's all about nutrition at this stage in the game.....focus on protein.  Yes, eating does become a chore but you adjust.  However, I'm 9 months out and still can't eat lettuce.  I tried a salad again yesterday and my tummy hurt so much.  If you're craving a veggie, choose something softer, easy to digest, and more nutritional.  It could be you're missing the crunch.  Finally, I've become creative with my water and keep a bottle with me at all times....car...shopping...I'm placing orange slices....lemon slices...cucumber, etc. in the water.  It adds a natural flavor and makes it not so boring....and a great way to get the natural fruit taste without actually eating the fruit (especially if you're early in the solid food stage).  Cucumber water is my fav!  Stay the course...you'll be just fine.

hope123
on 1/29/14 4:17 am - MO

I don't understand cucumber water.  What do you do, just place one slice of raw cucumber in it?  Can you please explain?  Thanks  :-)

staceyp1105
on 2/4/14 2:24 pm - Arvada, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I am 8 weeks post op and I do fine with lettuce.  I don't have salad but I will use the leaf lettuce to wrap turkey, etc.  Replaces bread sort of.  Today I had shrimp on it with a tsp of miso sesame dressing.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/4/14 2:53 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I have never had any issues with lettuce or salads. Do focus on maximising the nutritional impact of your food though. Lettuce is my carrier for all sorts of things, instead of bread. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

chunkeymonkey99654
on 2/4/14 3:06 pm - wasilla, AK

Im 3 yrs out n I eat a chicken salad for dinner if I want to. Its great...I love it And when I do...I make sure I eat more protein for breakfast n lunch. I take my vitamins...drink my water and excercise.  Later...you'll be able to tolerate more. Taste buds change massively.....by doing more vigorous excercise you'll automatically crave more water just to cool off. I suggest more excercise. And remember yes you need a powerhouse of nutition...but later you'll be able to enjoy that salad. I do...and others I know do too & we Are ALL FINE. Presently...IM A SIZE 4....AND 123 LBS FOR OVER 2 YRS. I had the VSG.  Good luck! 

Mellissa 
~Happiness is just around the corner~

Christ42
on 2/4/14 7:53 pm

What are you allowed to eat after surgery? Everything or did the doctor tell you to avoid some types of food?

Most Active