Coffee / Hot Tea Question

hope123
on 1/31/14 7:14 am, edited 1/31/14 7:52 am - MO

Hi Guys.  I'm 13 weeks post-op from the sleeve and recently starting eating some solid foods (not very much at all, like 4 bites of a scrambled egg, or a few bites of tuna with light mayo, etc...).  I've been stuck at the same weight (187 lbs) for a month now.  When I was on liquids only, I lost about 5 pounds per week.  I was told by the dietician when you switch over from liquid protein shakes only to eating some solid foods, you can have a stall...but, isn't a month a very long stall?

I'm tracking my food intake (calorie counter), and I'm tracking every single thing, including artificial sweetener packets, dash of milk, etc...  The only thing I'm doing different right now then before (besides being able to eat a few bites of food), is I was drinking water only before (besides the protein shakes).  Now I've been drinking more hot tea, because I'm bored.  But, the hot tea indicates it's zero calories.  I do put about two teaspoons of either milk or coffee creamer in it, along with a couple of artificial sweetener packets (which I track also).  I'm wondering if the hot tea is causing my stall?  I used to have clear urine, and my urine is a little darker now, but it's (not) too dark, like when you're not getting enough fluids.

Has anyone else noticed if drinking hot tea has thrown a wrench into your plans, or if you're stalling and just not losing because of it?

My question about coffee is...is it something we should drink?  They say coffee is acidic and causes acid problems for many people who have had this procedure, and I had major acid problems for an entire 3 months post-op (it just started letting up).  I am on PPI's.  I haven't had any coffee in months.

I'm only tracking anywhere from 250 to 500 calories per day, so I just can't figure out this month long stall.  I'm not eating carbs either.  Thanks!

Tata64
on 1/31/14 7:48 am

I'm at 13 weeks and I've lost 40lbs, but I'm allow to everything as long as I can handle it.  I drink lots of water and do at least one primere shake for breakfast... I do very little exercise for now. Hope it starts moving for you.

G5x5
on 1/31/14 9:19 am - VA

I stalled for four weeks between weeks 9-13.  Stay in they, it will break soon.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Gwen M.
on 1/31/14 12:15 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

How much protein are you getting each day?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

JAlston
on 1/31/14 12:20 pm
VSG on 12/07/12

It will break, it is normal. Increase your protein and water intake. Your urine should be almost clear. I am a year post-op and drink at least 14 cups a day. I also drink decaf teas and coffee with no problems. Although I only use sugar free creamer in my coffee. Increasing protein and water intake is always a great way to break a stall and get things moving again!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

mickeymantle
on 1/31/14 2:30 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

why are you first starting solis food at 13 weeks is that what your plan calls for , I had solid food after 2 weeks (mostly softer stuff at first)

at 3 months my surgeon oked tea or regular coffee, I drink de caf mostly by chose 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Mike B.
on 1/31/14 11:23 pm
I started drinking coffee about 4 months post-op. I am over 2 years post-op now and have not had any problems with coffee. OK I lied. If I don't have my coffee in the morning, I'm a little grumpy.
Whenever I reached a stall, I would check what my intake was to see if maybe I was over doing it. Then I would take a look at how my clothes were fitting. During my weight loss, I would notice at times that the scale would stop moving, but I would continue to shrink out of my clothes. This crazy journey will play mind tricks on you.

HW:280       SW:270       OLD GW:190       NEW GW: 180       CW: 174

hope123
on 2/1/14 9:21 am - MO

Thanks guys!

Someone asked why I wasn't eating solids earlier, and that's because I couldn't.  Everyone heals at different rates, and I literally couldn't eat at all for 3 months.  I had several tests done to make sure there wasn't anything wrong, and there wasn't, I just couldn't eat.

Regarding how much protein I'm getting, I'm not getting enough yet, since I'm still new to eating again, so I'm working on that.  You'd think the scale would budge a little though with a low calorie intake, but I guess I'm going to have to be more patient and hang in there.  It just seemed like a month was a very long time for me to be in a stall, so I'd thought I'd ask if this were common.

Thank you all for your feedback and input!  :-)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views