Very humbled right now!

kellma699
on 2/8/14 4:08 am
VSG on 02/04/14

Pre - op, I worked out six days per week. I ran 5-6 miles at a times at least three days per week, did circuit training, spin classes, ect. I had developed a very unhealthy relationship with exercise over the past 7 years. I started at 257, got down to 152 through diet and exercised. Stopped dieting but continues to work out like a fiend. I thought as long as I got my sweat on daily that I could eat whatever I wanted and in large quantities too. Wrong. I put back on almost 40 pounds over the last 2.5 years. I would feel so guilty if I didn't exercise. If I ate something "bad", I would punish myself with an extra mile or two. Although, I still enjoy working out, I've cone to realize how disfunctional my thought process was. It wasn't until I started considering WLS that I began to really take heart and know how wrong I have been.

Well now I'm sleeved as of 2/4/14. My surgeon doesn't want me to do anything but walk for the next month. I feel weird not getting out there, but at the same time I am enjoying the rest. On Saturdays my husband and I run for an hour together. Today I walked while he ran. I felt so humbled to be walking instead of running. It took me 58 minutes to walk 1.81 miles! I was going at a snails pace!

That being said, I am very grateful that I did get out and get some fresh air. I'm looking forward to having a healthy relationship with food AND exercise. My plan is to walk when I can, for as long as it is comfortable and not a strain on my new body. When the surgeon gives me the all clear, I will gradually regain my stamina and strength. 

Just thought I would share my thoughts. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

jessies824
on 2/8/14 4:50 am
VSG on 02/04/14

we got sleeved the same day!!! i wish i loved exercise like you do but i did buy my own treadmil a few weeks ago so i can use it at home at my own pace once cleared how is your pain level? i slept weird last night and woke up in more pain then i have had in the last 2 days yesterday i went to the grocery store and had to of walked a mile or two then came home for a nice nap 

kellma699
on 2/8/14 5:28 am
VSG on 02/04/14

My pain has been very minimal. I am taking my pain meds on schedule so that I am able to rest. I should be done with them by tomorrow.

I guess this means we are sleeve sisters, lol.

Exercise is like my Prozac. I feel weird without it. I stopped smoking seven years ago and picked up exercise at the same time so it filled that smoking void for me. You might be surprised at how you'll enjoy it once it is easier for you with weight loss.

Good luck to you!

HW 257, SW 190.2, CW 148.8, GW 125

Jackie T.
on 2/8/14 5:35 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

This is a topic that I have been giving a lot of thought to lately.  The topic of exercise. I think getting up and moving is very important both from a health standpoint but also it aides in your healing.  I have never liked to exercise, meaning to run, lift weights, etc.  I started walking on the treadmill and then life got in the way and I got out of the habit.  I have lost most of my weight based solely on diet.  I have kind of come to the conclusion that it is not all bad.  I need to exercise to tone but I have been able to concentrate on my eating habits by not using exercise to the get the weight off.  Many people that exercise eat more calories and carbs.  If they quit exercising are they going to cut back on those extra calories and carbs?  If they don't they are going to put the weight back on.  Exercise should not ever be used as a way to eat extra food every day to the extreme unless you can maintain your exercise program for the rest of your life which for many is not practical.  I don't think it is necessarily bad to get this weight off by diet alone and then add exercise to tone.  I know that there are many that would not agree with me but it is working for me at this time. 

Welcome to the losers bench!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

VSG on 06/12/13

Congrats on the new sleeve!

You said something important here: You had developed a very unhealthy relationship with exercise. Just wanted to point out that WLS fixes our bodies but not our brains. Please be alert to falling back into these old patterns and work to maintain a level of control. If you are not working with a therapist, it might be a good time to add one to your team since you have identified it as a previous problem.

That said, I never thought of myself as an exercise junkie. My joints hurt. I got winded easily. Not fun. I joined a gym and signed up with a trainer and now I do a lot in the gym. More importantly, I have identified a restless feeling that makes me want to walk and move when I'm stressed. In the old days, I used to eat that away because it was easier. I will say that my trainer has taken me in baby steps from a very poor condition to a much higher level. I'm not perfect yet and still have a long way to go (I feel) but I am so much stronger and healthier in terms of my strength and cardiovascular performance.

You are doing the right thing by following doc's orders, but don't worry! You'll be back to harder stuff in no time at all.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views