Am I definitely going to lose my hair

Southjerzjoy
on 2/18/14 10:06 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I don't mean so sound vain at all but I am.  Sorry. I'm i definitely going to lose my hair?????

cajunlady1958
on 2/18/14 10:15 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
Not necessarily. It all depends on your genetics and how much protein you take in. I guess I was lucky my hair didn't fall out, it did get a little thinner but I just cut my hair very short to disguise it.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/18/14 10:21 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I had no noticeable hair loss at all. I don't think it is obligatory to lose hair. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Tracy D.
on 2/18/14 10:33 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If you do a search on this site for "hair loss" you will find hundreds of posts on this subject...and everyone is all over the place on what they experience.  Most people experience SOME hair loss.  Very few people are blessed to not notice any loss.  Then there's people like me who are 9 months out and still shedding significant amounts of hair.  And I did everything I was "supposed" to as far as protein, supplements, shampoos, scalp massage, etc.  

My advice...don't waste ANY of your money on this extra stuff.  If you're going to lose hair, nothing will stop it.  You need to focus on getting proper nutrition, exercise and sleep.  The hair thing will take care of itself.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ravenbrown
on 2/18/14 11:15 pm - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I had some more hair loss for a few months than is totally normal to me, but I have a ridiculous amount of hair and it wasn't noticeable at all.  You really can't know until it starts happening.

(deactivated member)
on 2/18/14 11:56 pm - Canada

I had really sick hair and due to complications lost about half of it in a month...get your protein in...feed your body and drink!  I couldn't and paid the price.

TexasTerritory
on 2/19/14 12:01 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I haven't lost any hair and I am 7 months out. Perhaps you will be lucky.

Southjerzjoy
on 2/19/14 1:06 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Thanks all. When I searched all I found was not if but when. Fingers crossed. 

TurnThePage
on 2/19/14 2:10 am

The process is called telogen effluvium.  Google it on medical websites, not sites where they are trying to sell you stuff, for accurate information.

Scott S.
on 2/19/14 2:46 am - TX

This one fact alone stood between me and my surgery for 3 months.... I was like no way!

I can report back 6 mos post op that I have not had anything significant.  Outside of calcium citrate and vitamins, I am up to 80g+ protein per day.  

Good luck to you.... don't feel like you are alone on this journey!

VSG: 8/8/13 

Most Active