I know everyone is different...

KellyH67
on 2/27/14 9:50 am - Richmond, VA
VSG on 02/19/14

but I don't have any problems swallowing.  Anything.  I have no problems taking pills (mind you, I'm only doing one at at time…not a handful like I used to), swallowing regular sized swallows of anything (though I try to take smaller sips of soup) and am managing to get 64 oz of fluid in 8 days out from surgery.  I abhors the protein shakes, though I managed to get 2 down (more or less) a day plus a yogurt.  Since the doctor said that almost no one gets all 60 oz of protein in the first month, I'm not going to sweat it…but this just seems….TOO EASY!!!!!  I just read another post and learned that most likely my "hungry" feeling is acid…but I"m on Previcid that the doctor prescribed.  It just makes me feel that something is wrong since I don't have to take little sips like everyone else seems to have to or that I don't have pain when swallowing (it's a bit uncomfortable sometimes…but I just make sure to take a bit smaller sip next time and it's usually ok).  

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection.  Excellence I can reach for.  Perfection I leave up to God."  Michael J. Fox

Annievvho
on 2/27/14 10:08 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

About a week and a half out from surgery, I was seriously asking myself if they had just put some scars on my belly and charged me for surgery (despite some side effects that were clearly telling me I had had surgery). Part of it for me was acid making me think I was hungry. By 3 weeks out it burned enough for me to realize what it was and address it with my doctor. I also had some discomfort with swallowing and some nausea (which I could attribute to the pain meds for the most part - they always make me sick. I also thought I could get in too much those first few weeks, but part of it was not getting a full sensation due to severed nerves, part of it was that puréed stuff just went right on through my stomach. After I started with more solid stuff, I could really feel the restriction. I had to slow myself back down and really listen to my body. Give yourself some time to heal before you decide it's been too easy.

mollz007
on 2/27/14 10:09 am
VSG on 02/20/14

I'm pretty similar to you. I'm also lucky in that I haven't had trouble getting in liquids and protein. Not much pain either except from incisions, and that was not bad. I guess we should just count ourselves lucky.

check out my blog!

FindingMyWeigh
on 2/27/14 10:22 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Same here..no problem swallowing fluids but really felt the restriction when I began solids.  2oz of dense protein and I'm done 

CJ-Halli
on 2/27/14 10:31 am - Old Bridge, NJ

I'm right there with you. No trouble with water or protein intake and I'm able to take pills/vitamins with ease. I've been told my appetite while on liquids was in the small group of hungry people. LOL Just my luck!

The NUT looked really shocked when I told her how much water & protein I was getting in so soon after surgery. Hydration is so important so I didn't mess around.

I feel very lucky to have it so easy. Glad for you too!

CJ

Surgery date: 2/17/14

G5x5
on 2/27/14 10:59 am - VA

You're fine and describe situation very similar to mine.  You'll notice more impact restriction wise once you get to mushy foods and solids later on.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

KellyH67
on 2/27/14 11:30 am - Richmond, VA
VSG on 02/19/14

Thank goodness.  That's why I finally said something here…I figured I couldn't be the only person to be having an "easy" time of it.  And I really need to give myself a break…it has ONLY been a week.  I'm really glad to hear that real food is going to make me feel different.  I haven't been on pain pills for a couple of days…and I'm usually a wimp where pain is concerned.  I mean…even recovery from my incisions has been so damn easy.  I guess I'll just count my blessings and keep keeping on this path we're all on now.  Thank you all for calming my fears. :-)

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection.  Excellence I can reach for.  Perfection I leave up to God."  Michael J. Fox

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/14 11:48 am

Goodness, there a lot of us just like you! Are you kidding? By 8 days out I was able to get 60 grams of protein in easily, plus all my liquids (I didn't even count the shakes as liquid, they were in addition to the 64 oz of water I was sipping all day long.) No trouble swallowing pills, eating was fine, never threw up, didn't get the foamies ****il months later when I introduced raw baby carrots to my diet and ate one too many!), never had nausea, nothing.... I was the poster child for a cake walk recovery. I also had no restriction early out - or so it seemed. When I ate my first bit of scrambled egg, then I knew I had restriction because I couldn't finish half of one scrambled egg!

You sound perfectly normal to me!

Annievvho
on 2/27/14 1:29 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

That was the first thing I ate that I felt restriction with, too!

TexasTerritory
on 2/27/14 7:34 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I never had any problems with swallowing water, shakes or pills. My recovery has been awesome. Good luck to you.

Most Active