Ferritin level

mmmesser
on 2/28/14 10:16 am

So, anyone else have low Ferretin level 6 months post-op?  I have taken a Bariatric multi-vitamin with Vitamin C and Iron (of course it has Calcium carbonate in it).  I started taking an Iron supplement on top of this and I have also learned all the food and drink items that can interrupt absorption (tea, coffee, grains, calcium of course, dairy, etc.).  So my plan of action is to take the Iron supplement at night when I go to bed and not have any possible interruptions at least two hours prior to taking it.  Also, I plan to eat chicken livers every so often with the same considerations.  After 3 months I'm rechecking (my Iron level itself was fine but the storage Iron was low along with the size of the red blood cells due to this) my Iron levels.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I had the Sleeve btw.

Pura Vida
on 2/28/14 10:56 am - Costa Rica

My ferritin was  a 3, so I do 3x weekly iron injections, then I know I am absorbing it. I also do a B-12 combo shot with B-1 and B-6 every 3 weeks. You must stay on top of this. 

Heather

mmmesser
on 2/28/14 11:34 am

Mine was only a bit low.  So, I'm rearranging everything and getting on top of it and then going to reassess in 3 months.  If not better with all my informed efforts then I will know that it's not from trying and that it is an absorption issue and go from there with my surgeon.  Thank you for the info.  I will definitely stay on top of this!  Where do you put your injections and how much does that cost and what are the side effects (if any)?

Gwen M.
on 3/1/14 5:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What iron are you taking?  I know there's an issue where we have to make sure the iron is elemental.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mmmesser
on 3/1/14 7:56 am

65 mg Iron elemental....should be good there.  I'm taking it at bedtime (two hours post eating or drinking anything besides water).  After 3 months of this, I am rechecking.  If nothing improves then I will have an idea what to do next due to absorption issues through the stomach.

Most Active