Well, I figured out a new way to treat constipation (may be TMI)

mustlovepoodles
on 3/1/14 9:53 am, edited 3/1/14 9:59 am
VSG on 12/31/13

And I'm not particularly proud of it.  It's been 3 days since the last (hard) BM and there seemed to be nothing coming down the pipeline.  I was in no discomfort so I figured I'd take something for it later. 

I've been on crutches for 3 weeks and just started driving again a couple days ago. Soooo happy. Drive all the cars~! My DH left on a road trip with his college buddies this morning.  Read all the internet~!  Go get a massage...aaaaahhhhh~  As I turned out of the spa parking lot I noticed the Big Dunkin Donuts sign and it was calling my name.  Coooomme to meeeeee....cooommme get youuur doooonnnnuutt...  Entranced, I followed the donutty voice to the drive thru where I requested a sour cream glazed donut.  Ahhhh, yum, this is going to be so gooooooodddd....

Now I must admit, this is the first time I have even considered going off plan in such a way.  I haven't had any sweets in several months and I've lost a little over half my EWL. I swear there was an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other.  I thought about it for a moment, mentally calculated my carbs and cals for the day and took the plunge. Oh, come to me, thou sugary goodness...om nom nom nom nom mmmmmm....I did not feel too good after that. Not exactly sick, but just icky.  I didn't think I was going to make it home in time, but I did make it, to my sweet relief. 

O.M.G. I'm telling you what, I think some of that stuff has been in there for a couple months. It was like something had crawled up in there and DIED. Thank goodness this didn't come on in the grocery store or some public restroom. Nobody was home so I was able to just wallow in the stink of it to my heart's content. Well, not that it made my heart feel better, but you know... let's just say that constipation is no longer a problem.

Okay, being serious here...I recognize where I went wrong today.  I did not plan my meals and snacks as I should. I wasn't drinking water like a should.  I allowed myself to buy something at a drive-thru, one of my big no-nos.  I ate it in the car, one of my really big no-nos.  And why did I do it?  I know exactly why--my husband was out of town and nobody was there to see what I was eating.  I will not claim that I couldn't help it. My car doesn't drive itself. I doubt it could have managed that left hand turn off a 4 lane hwy without me to help.  I could have driven past the donut shop. I could have not gotten into the drive thru. I could have paid for the donut and then trashed it, instead of eating it.  I could have taken a lick off it and thrown the rest away.  But I CHOSE none of these options and went for the one that could do me the most harm. 

So, now my goal is to be better prepared for this kind of thing. Eating in secret was one of my addict behaviors prior to surgery and I don't need to feed that demon.  I can see that this is a line that I simply can't cross. When I say my rule is no junk food, no eating in the car, no drive-thrus then my rule should be solid.  It should not change based on who's watching at the time. 

I sing in the choir tomorrow morning. I plan to pack a small cooler with on-plan food and water. I'll drink a protein drink on the way to church. When I come out I will have food immediately available to me. I will bypass Wendy's, Burger King, and KFC.  Tomorrow, I will roast the vegetables that are rolling around in my vegetable drawer. I will bravely take out that lovely piece of fish and teach myself how to cook it!  Tilapia for all~

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

ColleenInOregon
on 3/1/14 9:57 am

Good for you for planning ahead, that is going to be a huge hurdle for me to overcome!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/14 10:04 am - Canada

Some see a drive-thru in this story but I see a break through...congratulations on teaching yourself so much with one little slip.  

God bless, Michelle

mollz007
on 3/1/14 10:27 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Eh, don't beat yourself up about it. I'm one of the few on here that believes in the dreaded 'M' word. *Runs away and hides. Please don't hate me OH!* Lol, but you have been doing so well, I think it's ok that you indulged. Plus, those donuts are tiny. And the best part is that it made you THINK after the fact, which to me is an accomplishment because you were able to say "Woah, wait a minute, if I don'****ch this it could lead back to my old behaviors." So good for you!

And LOL about the constipation. Sometimes your body just needs a kickstart! I can't wait until I can drink coffee again, even decaf, because coffee never fails to make me... well you know.

check out my blog!

mustlovepoodles
on 3/1/14 10:40 am
VSG on 12/31/13

Yeah, I never would have thought using donuts instead of Metamucil, but, hmm...same outcome.   Well, in the famous words of Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow *IS* another day." And not a DONUT day!

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/1/14 11:32 am, edited 3/1/14 10:02 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

It sounds like you experienced dumping. It can happen with VSG due to eating something high sugar, carbs and fat. Good thing you were close to home, huh?

I am not a believer in moderation. Here's a post from Elina about that and why she isn't on board with "moderation" either.  You will find few successful vets on here that believe in moderation.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4874801/moderation-is-a-quotcreepyquot-word/action,replies/topic_id,4874801/page,1/

Good plan to keep your foods with you. I always have a protein bar or some string cheese handy. 

StarGirl11
on 3/1/14 2:28 pm
VSG on 02/24/14

Wait sorry to bump in here and go off topic for a sec but I saw this over on recent posts and I really need to know. VSG patients actually can get dumping syndrome? Because my office told me during our information session we specifically couldn't (admittedly this wasn't my surgeon this was the other surgeon at the office who I've met only at this session). I'm nowhere near a stage where I could be eating foods that could bring on dumping syndrome but this is a legit question for me.

Also wanted to look at that link out of curiousity. And uh not sure what's quiet wrong with it but it doesn't work when I go and try to copy paste it into the url bar

HW: 306 SW: 256 CW: 243 Goal: 140

DIStickers.com Ticker 

Imakitekat
on 3/1/14 3:04 pm - ID
VSG on 09/23/13

Hi Stargirl,

Yes, it's true, you can have dumping syndrome with VSG, I have had it and it's no fun. It's usually brought on by a high amount of sugar or fat.  I don't think it's as bad as what RNYers get, but I have never had RNY  so I don't know, that's what I have read. And not all people have it happen to them. I think the doctors don't show it as a side affect , because it is not as common or severe with this type of surgery.  There are several people on these boards that have had it though. I didn't think people could have it with this surgery either but I found out the hard way. If you want more info just put dumping syndrome VSG in the search bar.......sorry to disappoint you...best wishes

Lisa

StarGirl11
on 3/2/14 3:08 am
VSG on 02/24/14

Thanks for the reply. A bit disappointed but eh I can live with it. At least if worse case scenario I accidentally do get it somewhere down the road from a bad decision I know what the heck I am dealing with. Instead of being mystified because of apparently someone in my surgeon's office is misinformed when it comes to VSGs.

HW: 306 SW: 256 CW: 243 Goal: 140

DIStickers.com Ticker 

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/1/14 10:01 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

It's a good link.

If you still have problems, go to the search area and type in the words....moderation creepy....it will be the first post.

Most Active