Five Months Post OP Pics/ Vics

see_saw_run
on 3/8/14 1:09 am

Lurker here. Wanted to take a minute to post about my almost five month post op!

Had my surgery @ Johns Hopkins, but I live in CA. I can't thank you all enough for the information and stories you post. You all motivate and inspire me on a daily basis. Lately it seems I have had more bad days than good. (One of the drawbacks about a surgeon 3000 miles away-- I'm not EXACTLY sure where I should be calorie, protein, carb wise now and that drives me insane!) However, I'm trying my hardest to get back on track and anytime I come here and see all the insightful messages and posts it definitely shoves me in the right direction.

So thanks, for being you!!! Any tips for those out 5 months or so? Hit a stall for a few weeks, but still down 88 lbs! Having some trouble lately with grazing. Calorie intake usually around 1000 (my nutritionist seems to think I should be higher, but even 1000 is a struggle!) Protein is a daily battle, as is waiting to drink after meals. I feel like a mess! I know the loss will begin slowing down soon and I just want to prepare myself with best practices to make sure I can be successful. 

HAPPY SATURDAY!

XO 

photo IMG_0998.jpg

Tracy D.
on 3/8/14 1:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Wowweee!!  You look fantastic  

As for tips on calories, protein, carbs - you've probably already gleaned from here that many successful people stick to the 800 calories, 80g protein and 40g carb (or less) per day plan.  It's what worked for me.  

At 5 months I would not have been eating 1000 calories, but I'm also a shorty at 5'3" and started off as a lightweight.  There are taller people with more to lose who can handle that number of calories.  I only increased my calories to 1000 per day once I got to my first maintenance goal.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

see_saw_run
on 3/8/14 1:24 am

Thanks so much!

And thanks for the tips… I think the protein and carbs are the ones that are getting me. Haha, yeah, I'm 6'2  and it seems to be coming off regularly, but that is so true!  I definitely need to adjust my goals. Thanks again, dear!! 

happyteacher
on 3/8/14 10:51 pm

I am your height, and my calories were between 1000-1200 around that time.  I leveled off at 1200 for the last few months of my weight loss phase.  I did, however, exercise a whole lot!  1 hour daily on the elliptical or a 4-5 mile walk, usually both on the weekends.  1 day a week for rest.  Don't let the carbs in with high numbers at one sitting- that will trigger cravngs and hunger.  No more than 30 at one meal or 15 at a snack is what I used, but it is a little different for everyone.  Put yourself on a schedule to help deal with grazing.  I did 3 meals, 3 snacks.  (Of course I have been grazing terrible lately and really need to take my own advice!)  You can see my monthly progress to goal in my ticker for comparison.  I was right about where you are- 

Stalls are just a part of the process.  By the 5 month mark I would not lose an ounce for up to 21 days, and then in just a couple days drop 10 pounds... repeat the cycle.  Look at your monthly averages in other words.  Expect that the rate will slow down a tad, but if you level off then you need to either drop calories or increase exercise, or likely both.

So tall chic, where are your favorite stores to shop?  It is so hard to find stuff long enough!  I am all legs, 36 inch inseam is a tad short and I have very long arms.  Just discovered a store called Long Tall Sally's and for the first time in my life I feel short.  Most of their stuff runs long on me!  I buy jeans and casual stuff from Old Navy, but recently went on the market for some nicer suitng for interviewing.  Hopefully when the Jcrew stuff arrives it will be long enough.  Eddie Bauer does pretty well overall.  JCP.com  has great prices on work wear, but limited selection.  Any other places that you troll?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

The_True_KayD
on 3/8/14 1:22 am

Congrats on your weight loss! I find that taking ONE thing and focus on changing that. I understand about the calories. Mine says a 1000..i have to work at 800! I just do the best that i can do! You will be able to get back on track. Just make yourself the priority! You have done it before! You will do it again! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

see_saw_run
on 3/8/14 1:26 am

Thanks so much! Yeah, I tend to get a bit frazzled and freaked out when I think of the amount of things I worry about. I definitely think taking it one thing at a time would be easier/ most beneficial.  Thanks again!

The_True_KayD
on 3/8/14 5:07 am

You are welcome. I take one thing at a time because I get a feeling of success. That feeling of success tends to give me traction to make another change. It creates a momentum of success! You will do it! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

Stacy_WLS
on 3/8/14 1:23 am

You look great.  Congrats on the success so far!  

I think 1000 seems a bit right (there are lots of different opinions on this).  I'd focus on keeping your protein and water high.  

You are further along than me.  I think about stalls like they will keep coming.  I'm just going to keep going and I'll get through it.  I know it is hard when you are in the middle of it though.

Good Luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

see_saw_run
on 3/8/14 1:27 am

Thank you!!!

Yeah, my nut. seems to think I should be a bit higher, but I'm not comfortable getting there yet while still eating the right things, you know?

And, it looks like you are doing fantastic as well! Congrats and keep it up! We'll keep going and you're right… we WILL get through it! :) 

Stacy_WLS
on 3/8/14 1:31 am

Thanks!

My Nut is not focused on calories at all, but she is pushing me to up my carbs.  That freaks me out a bit, but I am bringing more fruit in my diet.  I have been adding strawberries to vanilla greek yogurt and it is devine.  But adding rice / potatoes or pasta just scares the crap out of me.  

I love this board - everyone is so supportive :)

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Most Active