Alcohol- I was a drinker

Southjerzjoy
on 3/11/14 11:39 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I was a drinker. Irish so it's in my blood. My doc gave me permission to have a ****tail this past weekend   I am 6 weeks out. He warned me of people trading one addition (food) for another (alcohol). He mentioned empty calories and the fact that I will be a cheep date because WLS patients process alcohol differently now.   So I had 1 ****tail because that is something my husband and I do on Saturday date night. Or did I should say. It was fine. I was fine but the one thing I realized is I'm not a drinker in my new life. It's going to be an adjustment for everyone in my social life especially my wonderful supportive husband.   I'm not saying I'm never going to drink again. (I told you I'm Irish). But it is one of the major changes in this new life that I wanted to share. I really thought this was going to be a problem for me. I just hope it's not for others around me.  Everyone has been more than supportive and understanding. Time will tell. Thank you all for always being here. 

Joy

VSG on 06/12/13

I work for a company where the have-a-drink culture is very strong. Booze and wine in the cupboard, a kegerator in the break room, you get the picture. 

I have had wine on occasion and sometimes it just burns my stomach. I really don't enjoy it that much. So, I have learned to keep a glass in my hand that just never seems to empty. After awhile I trade it for water, have a few glasses of that, and then go back to my wineglass prop. Or, I have a "mocktail" of sparkling water and cranberry juice. I just ask for it in barware not a big clunky plastic cup as they're prone to give. It stopped the questions/comments.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/14 1:31 am

Laurie, is your company hiring?? Lol

sounds like a fun place to work.

goleftoklahoma
on 3/11/14 11:55 pm
VSG on 01/24/14

I was a drinker.  Like 6-7 nights a week 3-4 Seagrams 7&7 for 10 years drinker.  It is a struggle for me a lot of the time now.  I don't go around social places with friends where alcohol is involved.  I haven't had a drink since New Years.  I vowed not to touch it until I'm in the maintenance stage, and even then with caution.  I do hope you know that being Irish and wanting/liking/needing to drink is a complete stereotype.  Best of luck to us both!

Spencerella
on 3/12/14 12:25 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Prior to surgery, I really enjoyed having a great glass of wine once it twice a week. I was surprised by how much I missed it during the weight loss phase. I enjoy a glass now and then in maintenance, but it's still something I consume carefully. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/14 1:28 am

Thanks for posting this.  We have a vacation home in a resort in Arozona.  Much of our time there is spent boating and having drinks (not the boat driver) or dining at each other's homes where the drinks flow freely.  I know I'm going to miss the social lubrication that alchohol gives and it will be harder for them than me.  This is an important topic to discuss in all honesty.  I like the idea of the fake drinks !  

Lemily
on 3/12/14 1:39 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Hey Karla,  I have to go out a lot for business. The people who I do know when we go out, thus far, who know i have surgery, i tell them that i cant drink much and i cant eat much, so please do not bring attention to what i am or am not drinking or eating at the table. It cuts out 50% of my worry. My MIL still does not know that I had surgery. When we went out the other night for her birthday, I positioned myself next to my husband so she couldnt see what i was and was not eating, and i just asked him to eat off my plate every now and there lol. Once you get into the groove at your vacation home, you will figure it out. I am the most impatient person and i do a lot of things at rapid speed...drinking would have been one of them...so just like in the beginning post-op, just take little sips and fill your glass with LOTS of ice!

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/14 1:50 am

Only my husband and kids know I had surgery.  I will teach them to run block,  lol

Lemily
on 3/12/14 2:00 am
VSG on 01/16/14

LOL. Only let your husband get you drinks or make them. tell everyone you switched to vodka on the rocks and bring the little packets of crystal light lol...when you are looking FAB on that boat, and people ask questions..just say you are on the vodka diet LOL.

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/14 3:34 am

Good one Lemily 

Most Active