Six days postop and I think I have the flu

onmyway06062011
on 3/16/14 7:53 am - FL
VSG on 03/10/14

Having a really hard day today I'm nauseous and sweaty and shaky. Every time I try to get any protein and I can't I'm too nauseous. I took the protonic my doctor gave me and I usually don't have this problem but today all day I just can't seem to get anything in and I've drank about  28 ounces of fluid only about 10 g of protein. I think my granddaughter had the stomach  flu last night and I may have that. My question is this I've's been really good about getting my protein in every day and at least 48 ounces water since surgery six days ago but I don't think I'm going to make those goals  today but will it hurt for one day not to Get  near enough in. Also I should mention I know this is too much information but since two days after surgery I've had diarrhea every time I drink any kind of protein has anyone else had this happen and does it get better?

happyteacher
on 3/16/14 8:58 am

If you have a fever you need to contact your doc asap.  About the diarrea- liquid in, liquid out.  That will resolve once you hit solid food.  I hope you feel better!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/16/14 11:02 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I thought everyone had to have a flu shot before being admitted for surgery..if you did not have one, you should definitely call your surgeon if you have flu symptoms.  Protein isn't a priority, fluid is..yes the protein drink is a fluid but it doesn't pass as easily through your sleeve..dial back to all clear fluids and see if that helps. 64oz is the minimum, not 48oz. Dehydration can be deadly. I would think all the antibiotics they give you via the IV during surgery would prevent an illness so soon post op but better to be safe than sorry! Give them a call tomorrow or if your condition worsens, go to the ER. 

onmyway06062011
on 3/16/14 11:14 am - FL
VSG on 03/10/14

Thank you both for the replys I have been sipping on crystal light since this post and I am just going to stick to that for tonight,I do not have a temperature and I will call my doctor if this continues but I have a nurse that comes tomorrow morning to check on me because they had some problems with my pulse and bp after surgery while I was in the hospital. And now that I think of it liquid in liquid out makes sense.I am slowly building to 64 oz my dr says that is the minimum too but that he expects I won't be able to get that much in for a week to two weeks. Thanks for all the support...dawn

Annievvho
on 3/16/14 12:04 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Ok, first of all, even if you've been exposed to a stomach virus, these symptoms could indicate other complications, including dehydration. When in doubt, call the office. And focus on staying hydrated, especially when feeling bad. If you are vomiting, though, you should probably get to the emergency room. This soon out from surgery, and only getting in 48 oz of fluid, you will dehydrate quickly, and be unable to replenish quickly enough even if the nausea subsides. 

Secondly, stomach viruses are not flu, so even if you had a flu shot you can still get them. Flu is a shortened term for Influenza, which is a respiratory viral infection that causes fever, cough, and aches. Sometimes there is vomiting, but it is usually the result of other symptoms like chest congestion, cough, or fever. Norovirus is the cause of stomach bugs, and it has no vaccine (unfortunately). If someone in your home has had a stomach bug, it's important to clean all possible surfaces with bleach, as it's the only thing that kills the Norovirus (it can live on a surface for over 2 weeks). Hand sanitizer does not kill a Norovirus. Just a little FYI to help you prevent getting sick if you are not currently sick with it. Getting a stomach bug has been my biggest fear this winter. Good luck!

Most Active