Dr. Alverez/Aftercare/Questions

asfgsp
on 3/17/14 9:32 pm - Willow Grove, PA

I am really nervous about going out of the country for a procedure so if anyone can give me personal reassurance it would be great.  Haven't made my final decision.  Did anyone go alone? How do you carry your suitcases if you have just had major surgery if you are alone? What if you feel you are not ready or feeling well enough to fly home after the 2 days? Are you discharged with pain meds? How is recovery? Did anyone run into problems after surgery and what is eating like when you resume? I heard you cannot eat at the same time you drink and are there certain foods that are restricted?

bigredlt
on 3/17/14 10:25 pm - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

First of all, it sounds like you need to do more research on the procedure before you make your decision. Not trying to be mean, just calling it like I see it. It's a forever decision, not something temporary that can be reversed. If you look at most of the websites that involve Mexico, you'll see that you stay for 5 days, not 2. My Dr sent me out of the hospital with 8 pain pills, but I didn't need them. I have no regrets going to Mexico for my surgery. Good luck in your decision.

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

Mike_1964
on 3/17/14 11:49 pm

this may be a dumb question, but why do I see so many folks going to Mexico for the surgery.  Is there that big of a difference in price? 

Mike                                                                             VSG on 02/24/14

Gwen M.
on 3/18/14 12:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Self-pay in the US can be in the 5 digit range (20,000+), in Mexico, it seems to be less than 10,000.  Which is a huge difference if you're paying for everything out of pocket.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

FindingMyWeigh
on 3/18/14 1:11 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Here's a link to the forum about Mexico surgery http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/

mickeymantle
on 3/18/14 2:01 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

if you go to Mexico you will need to find a pcp at home to do your after care( check how your healing , labs ect)

problem is that many doctors in the USA will not see you if you have Mexican surgery and if you need something fixed (leak) it may be hard to find a surgeon to do it (the er has to take you by law)

My surgeon in Oregon charges around $35,000 in Mexico  it could be under $5000

most doctors in Mexico keep you in the hospital or surgical center(some  do it out patient)for less than 1 day and send you to a hotel with a nurse to check on you

you go home in 3-5 days

there are no food restrictions after you heal but most plans call for around 500-800 cal a day 80 gm protein , 65 oz water

eating and drinking at the same time fills up you stomach to fast and there is not enough room for food (2-4 oz)and it will also flush the food out of your stomach so you will get hungry faster

you can check what I eat every day by going to myfitnesspal.com my screen name is

Mickeymantle4  and you can Friend me there

pm me if you have any questions about the surgery ,I had it done in Oregon

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Mac333
on 3/18/14 7:30 am
VSG on 04/24/14 with

I am having surgery with Dr. Alvarez in Mexico in April. I will be flying from Fl. and traveling alone. His coordinator Susan is wonderful and will answer any questions you have. They are very organized I will be picked up by their van driver and taken across the border..return the same way. Dr. A. Is always available to his patients by phone if any concerns arise. He has many videos on YouTube that explain about his surgical technique ,facility, and patient care as well as many patient testimonials.

Mac    HW  234   SW   204.8   CW   190     M1  

" The favors of the Lord are not exhausted,His merices are not spent; they are renewed every morning so great is His faithfulness"     

Lamentations 3:22-23

mkvand
on 3/18/14 9:11 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I had surgery with Dr. Alvarez in January.  I had no complications, but when I asked, I was told if there were complications the cost of treating them was included in the price.  I went alone and requested wheelchair assistance at the airport so airport staff carried my luggage. You spend two nights in the hospital and have the option of a third night in a hotel (included in the price) if you want it.  You are discharged with all meds, including pain meds. 

After surgery, you are on clear liquids for a week, then two weeks of full liquids, then a week of soft foods.  This is to allow your stomach to heal.  Once you're healed, he recommends you stay under 800 calories a day while losing, at least 64 oz of water, under 40 grams of carbs, try for 70 grams of protein.  You are not supposed to drink with meals or for 30 minutes before or after, and this is true regardless of which surgeon you use. 

If you decide to go with Dr. Alvarez, once you pay your deposit, you will get comprehensive pre and post op instructions, and Susan will reply to any questions you have.  You also get to meet the doctor before surgery and ask him anything.  They go over the post op instructions with you again before you're discharged, and you get reminder e-mails when it's time to change food stages.

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views