Those damn Quest bars!!

freckles1973
on 3/19/14 4:20 am - Canada

Those Quest bars are too damn good!! Causing a big problem for me. Especially the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. I bought 2 boxes 2 weeks ago as I had purchased a living social coupon which was good value for the money. One box of Cookie Dough bars and the other box was an assortment of flavours. These are the best protein bars I have ever tasted! They have been referred to on OH before as close to being like candy bars. I would have to agree. Now, during the day..I have been having 1 Quest bar. I usually eat half in the morning and then half in the afternoon. However, at night when I am in bed..I hear the Quest bars calling me from their boxes on my kitchen table. My tummy starts to rumble and I can taste the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Goodness from my bed. I will admit that I have been giving into this temptation more often then not. 190 calories is not a good thing to be eating late at night before bed. I have not gained any weight..but have not lost either. 

As I type this post a little tongue in cheek, these Quest bars have reminded me..that bad habits and triggers will still be a part of my life if I am not careful. I have been reminded that I have lack of impulse control when it comes to yummy foods..and if I have large quantities of these foods in the house it's not a good thing. Even if they are on the healthier side. I was also reminded of my bad habit of eating late at night before bed. I have not indulged in this behaviour since before surgery. Together these habits and behaviours are not a good combination. What I will take away from this moving forward..is knowing that I am fallible in this WLS process and I will also figure things out as I go along. Now..not knocking Quest bars. Will still buy them..just in smaller quantities and will startegize them in my day. I see their merit in incorproating them in the plan..I just have to be careful. After all..every girl needs a little cookie dough in their life

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

Nikke2003
on 3/19/14 4:21 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

Totally a slippery slope - at least for a lot of people. Me included!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Tracy D.
on 3/19/14 4:48 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

When I was in WL mode these candy bars (because that's what they are - there is REAL chocolate in there) always stalled my weight loss - ALWAYS!  There are good when you're in a pinch so I've learned to just buy a few of the kind that don't call my name 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

freckles1973
on 3/19/14 4:59 am - Canada

Yes..real yummy chocolate..I know. As needed seems to be a good way to go for me too. Can also see them being good on long road trips in the car. I will be going away for a few days in April..will take 2 or 3 with me to keep handy in a pinch.

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

busboss1
on 3/19/14 9:41 am
VSG on 12/18/12

I'm a fan of Quest bars as well. They keep me from eating things I shouldn't. Makes me feel like I've had a treat when really I've just eat 20 grams of protein and maybe a gram of sugar! Don't get me started on the 19 grams of fiber in my favorite flavor Chocolate Brownie. I do agree though, you have to be very careful not to eat too many. If you want the evening treat, don't eat one during the day. Eat some good fruit like berries along with some turkey breast or some beef jerky. Good luck getting where you want to be!

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

LosingSarah
on 3/19/14 9:50 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Yeah, I haven't even tried them and don't think I ever will. I have heard they aren't that great anyway, and would trigger me to do bad things.

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/14 10:35 am

I never used them during my WL phase, but tried them in maintenance. I still buy them occasionally for travel, but that's it! They really are a lot like a candy bar. I used to think they were easier than taking protein powder on a trip, but now I just pre scoop out my protein powder and take it along in little plastic baggies.  I found that they didn't really do anything for my hunger whatsoever, but did make me want more as soon as I was done. Not a good food to keep on hand, IMO - well, for me anyway.

G5x5
on 3/19/14 12:03 pm - VA

I've tried to warn everybody only to hear back "my doctor says they're okay, blah blah blah".

the truth is exactly what you discovered.  It's basically a well made candy bar masquerading as a protein supplement.  In the end it's processed food, which should be avoided, and a trigger food.

Eat clean, stay away from these traps.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

jubjub
on 3/19/14 1:57 pm - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Ha - their motto is "Cheat clean"

If it looks like a candy bar, tastes like a candy bar and fulfills the same role in your diet as a candy bar, then it's a candy bar.  

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views