Any insurance in Virginia that doesn't require 6 month dr. supervised diet first?

dstydream
on 4/7/14 8:13 am

I guess I pretty much asked my question in the subject line. Does anyone know of an insurance I can get in Virginia that does not require a supervised diet first? I am starting nursing school in the end of August and would love to have this done over the summer if I can manage to do it rather than trying to do it in between semesters.

Amy

LilySlim Weight loss tickers 

mt_rose112
on 4/7/14 8:57 am - libby, MT

To bad you aren't in MT if you have insurance you can have surgery done in two weeks.  I have done this, I don't really like it as far as not enough info was given.

Amber G.
on 4/7/14 8:57 am
VSG on 04/02/14

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinios. I am not sure if its nationwide, but my job is based out of RI and CA. I had no supervised diets needed. I did need to give a quick break down of what I had tried in recent years. All it took for me to qualify, was to be 35+ bmi with 2 comorbidities or 40+ bmi with no comorbidities. I was at 41 BMI with no comorbidities. After I did all the pre-surgery testing and once submitted, it was approved 1st time around. I feel really blesses. Maybe try googling it, and see if anything comes up? Best of luck on finding the best one and quickly :) 

dstydream
on 4/7/14 9:16 am

Thanks for your replies. I have been reading on here about Optima Health HMO/Famis and some have said they were approved after first letter. Some were from a few years ago and maybe they have changed in their approval process but I am hoping that I get that lucky. I would LOVE to have it in June/July so that I can recover before my classes start. 

Amy

Lisa W.
on 4/7/14 9:44 am

I'm in VA and have CareFirst BCBS.  My only requirements were a 40+ BMI and a psych eval.  I was approved within a week of my paperwork being submitted to insurance.  Good luck!

Jordan B.
on 4/7/14 10:22 am

You may want to check with your surgeons requirements as well. I'm having my surgery at Duke in NC and my surgeon required a few extra steps

smittyjen
on 4/7/14 10:48 am
VSG on 10/30/13

United Healthcare 😊

Hislady
on 4/7/14 1:46 pm - Vancouver, WA

It depends on the employers choice of coverage or if you are talking about purchasing it, it is still fairly expensive even with the affordable care act. Mine is top level coverage but it still doesn't cover bariatric surgery. In fact I had to have my lap band removed last month because it was causing me so much pain under my rib cage and made swallowing very difficult. I am having to pay for the whole thing because I have a bariatric exclusion. Actually I think the 6 month diet is a very good thing because you need to practice some of the lifestyle changes before you actually have surgery.

dstydream
on 4/8/14 3:31 am

It isn't so much the 6 months as it is that what I have already done may not count because I didn't see my doctor and a nutritionist every single month for it to be "doctor supervised". 

Amy

2bf8th
on 4/8/14 3:45 am

I have Horizon BCBS out of New Jersey but live in Virginia. My requirement was I had to have done some form of structured weightloss program such as weigh****chers or Jeny Craig within a year of surgery. It didn't have to be for long just had to be with in that year. 

Most Active